Black Ants on driveway

For the past couple of weeks I've been doing some repairs to my driveway . digging, concreting, slab laying etc etc

At a certain spot down near the bottom of the drive there are quite a number of little black ants. They seem very busy completely ignoring me whilst I've been working. Everythings now almost complete, the ants are still there and if I'm honest I'm quite fascinated by them. But...should I be concerned that they may decide to move further up and eventually move in with me!!

I've looked online and all I can find is articles about home infestation and how to best to kill them.

I don't really want to kill them, they're not bothering me, so my question is - is it ok to just leave them be or should I attempt to try to move them on....plug their hole up!!

Edited by mrcharlie

I've had some this summer directly outside my house in the garden, they seem to potter about next to a drain. They never came into the house at all until about a month ago when I saw them around the floor just on the inside of the kitchen door - probably about 6-8 every day for 3 days. I was panicking thinking they'd finally invaded! Then i mopped the floor & never saw them inside again! Dunno what I must have spilt that they liked so much...

I think you'll be ok if they're at the bottom of the drive.

Cheers watchcoll

When I got to working where the ants were, they wouldn't walk over me. At first I was tempted to hose them way but in the end I just got on my knees and got stuck in and they all seemed to leave me alone.

As for coming in the house... A friend of mine had them in his house - it sent him crackers to the point that he moved! Only to find himself with a bigger invasion of ants. Both properties had block paving right upto the front door, so I guess it's the sand under the paving that's attracted them upto and over the threshold.