Henry's, Cambridge St

Bargepole23

Maybe they have too many handpumps and not enough throughput of the beer from each one so it sits there too long. It was the same problem in the Ball in Crookes recently. I wish they'd just have a few ales and look after them all properly or don't bother at all.

The cellarmanship could probably do with some improvement but yes, this is the problem from what I can tell. They don't turn 10 casks over quickly enough to keep it fresh. They should reduce down to 6 pumps and try and maintain quality, as well as putting some different types of beer on. I mainly drink darker beers and can't count the number of times I've walked out because there's been 10 pale ales on.

I think the place has potential. The layout is `nice` and accessible for the `mainstream` crowd. Located well, near to other ok pubs and Division Street but I have never had a decent pint there. It`s better to have three well kept beers than 10+ that are questionable. I popped in recently, during the city centre cycling, and, as per, took my beer back. BrewHouse looks nice too but ditto. IMHO

Why - what don't you like about it?

All the cliches of a trendy craft beer bar, but with a beer list that just doesn't entice me at all.

I'd honestly rather go for the cheap brown beer in Henry's next door, or a go a few yards further along to the Tap & Tankard.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

unlikely, I know how much they like to pay for a cask.. :gag:

Yeah that's my point. The place is nice enough but the beer range is the lowest of the low. Same goes for the cask in the Brewhouse. Guess that's what you get when your house brewer comes from Dukeries.

Funny thing is that the Brewhouse do have some decent beer on keg and in bottles, but it's vastly overpriced. Pity really as the entire place could be a serious rival to the Sheffield Tap if they put their minds to it. And with the retail quarter destined (supposedly) to develop around them I would be tempted to try and put a quality stamp on things. But each to their own.

As Stoaty says, I'll just wander up to ther T&T for my cask, or down to the Rutty for my keg. Tho both have had a faint air of 'wet dog' about them last few times I've been in. Maybe that's why the Rutty hads jkust got a new carpet...?

• 1 month later...

Funny thing is that the Brewhouse do have some decent beer on keg and in bottles, but it's vastly overpriced.

Last time I was in, they were asking 8 quid a pint for thornbridge/wild beer Co 'tart' on keg. Mitchells sell it for 2.50 per pint bottle. I bet it wasn't that much 5 minutes up the road in the bath hotel either. It's the only pub in town where brewdog beer costs more than it does in the brewdog bar