Missing people news

And it's that namby-pampy attitude as to why we have such issues with "Yoofs" in this day and age.

If I stepped out of line as a kid I got a clip around the ear-hole. If I was way out of line then a good hiding was mine.

If not wanting to physically assault children makes me a 'namby-pampy' (whatever that is), then so be it.

Perhaps the abuse you received as a kid explains why you get a kick out of it now. You really must seek help.

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 18:02 ----------

Completely agree with you. And its not just an age thing as I'm in my mid 20's

Don't hit children please.

If not wanting to physically assault children makes me a 'namby-pampy' (whatever that is), then so be it.

Perhaps the abuse you received as a kid explains why you get a kick out of it now. You really must seek help.

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 18:02 ----------

Don't hit children please.

If you don't discipline them when needed then kids will do what ever they want and will walk right over you and dare I even say not respect you!

Let me make my self clear, I don't mean knock the kid out but some discipline is needed sometimes, your a fool to think otherwise.

If you don't discipline them when needed then kids will do what ever they want and will walk right over you and dare I even say not respect you!

Let me make my self clear, I don't mean knock the kid out but some discipline is needed sometimes, your a fool to think otherwise.

You do not need to physically assault a child to instill discipline.

You do not earn respect by beating children. Quite the opposite in fact.

Please bear in mind that physically assaulting children can be psychlogically damaging for the child as well as physically damaging. It is also, quite rightly, illegal. Please bear this in mind next time you consider raising your hand to a child. There are safer, more constructive and more sophisticated ways to communicate with children, might I suggest you give these a try.

Please bear in mind that physically assaulting children can be psychologically damaging for the child as well as physically damaging. It is also, quite rightly, illegal. Please bear this in mind next time you consider raising your hand to a child. There are safer, more constructive and more sophisticated ways to communicate with children, might I suggest you give these a try.

Firstly me and my OH don't have a criminal record, have decent jobs and were both smacked by our respective parents. No you dont need to smack to instil discipline. Some parents prefer other methods of punishment. However its not a one size fits all. There is no rule book for parenting. Some parents chose smacking some chose other punishments both work for them. We shouldn't start to dictate how parents discipline their children.

Is it just me or are we having a spate of people just going missing. Lots of people worried about them and the police getting involved.

Yet then appear safe and sound. Take this Rotherham woman for example

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/missing-rotherham-woman-found-1-7426799

Maybe we should start to fine them for wasting police time. We are already short on resources dealing with burglaries and scumbags causing trouble rather than to spend time looking for people who just disappear for a bit.

Really, really bad idea. It would target the mentally ill, elderly Alzheimers sufferers, troubled and vulnerable teenagers and emotionally unstable folk of all kinds.

You might think such people should be punished, I think to do so would be pointless, cruel and vindictive.

Firstly me and my OH don't have a criminal record, have decent jobs and were both smacked by our respective parents.

Good for you both.

No you dont need to smack to instil discipline. Some parents prefer other methods of punishment. However its not a one size fits all. There is no rule book for parenting.

Exactly my point. A poster on here believes that giving a 'good hiding' to a runaway teenage girl will solve the issue. I'd prefer to work on any underlying issues that may have caused the teenage girl to behave in this way. There is no rule book but striking a child will surely have a detrimental effect here.

Some parents chose smacking some chose other punishments both work for them. We shouldn't start to dictate how parents discipline their children.

No we should not dictate how parents discipline their children but physically assaulting children is completely wrong. It is a form of bullying and despite what people who were struck by their parents believe, it does not work. If you reach a stage where, as a fully grown adult you have to strike a child then you have failed as a human being not just as a parent.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 10:42 ----------

Really, really bad idea. It would target the mentally ill, elderly Alzheimers sufferers, troubled and vulnerable teenagers and emotionally unstable folk of all kinds.

You might think such people should be punished, I think to do so would be pointless, cruel and vindictive.

Exactly what I am trying to get across here before I was sidetracked by the child-beating apologists. We have to address the underlying causes behind this behaviour.

Good for you both.

Exactly my point. A poster on here believes that giving a 'good hiding' to a runaway teenage girl will solve the issue. I'd prefer to work on any underlying issues that may have caused the teenage girl to behave in this way. There is no rule book but striking a child will surely have a detrimental effect here.

No we should not dictate how parents discipline their children but physically assaulting children is completely wrong. It is a form of bullying and despite what people who were struck by their parents believe, it does not work. If you reach a stage where, as a fully grown adult you have to strike a child then you have failed as a human being not just as a parent.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 10:42 ----------

Exactly what I am trying to get across here before I was sidetracked by the child-beating apologists. We have to address the underlying causes behind this behaviour.

This is the bit I don't get. You disregard evidence from people who have been smacked as a child. You say inspite of this we are still wrong. Yet many people were smacked as children and live law abiding happy lives so surely it works. You may not agree with smacking and chose to do it yourself, that is absolutely fine. But you cant dismiss evidence that in some cases it works and dictate to others how to discipline their child.

Please bear in mind that physically assaulting children can be psychlogically damaging for the child as well as physically damaging. It is also, quite rightly, illegal. Please bear this in mind next time you consider raising your hand to a child. There are safer, more constructive and more sophisticated ways to communicate with children, might I suggest you give these a try.

Your are putting words into my mouth. I never said beat a child. I never even said you had to hit a child!!! So stop putting words into my mouth please and try to be constructive instead

As the adult and the parent you should be the Alpha and not the other way around which is the case in a lot of family's these days

Edited by JarvisS8

oh dear not the smacking children causes them unrelenting harm and ruins their life old chestnut again. I would think that most people over the age of 45 were smacked and received strict discipline which is why we had respect for our elders and anyone in authority which I am afraid is sadly lacking now. I admit I occasionally lightly slapped my daughter she was that badly affected that she starts University in September and is a decent member of society, unlike many of the left to do as they please brigade.

oh dear not the smacking children causes them unrelenting harm and ruins their life old chestnut again. I would think that most people over the age of 45 were smacked and received strict discipline which is why we had respect for our elders and anyone in authority which I am afraid is sadly lacking now. I admit I occasionally lightly slapped my daughter she was that badly affected that she starts University in September and is a decent member of society, unlike many of the left to do as they please brigade.

Lol, you're funny - like there's no-one over 45 who's an addict or a thief or an emotional wreck. Yeah, that's a believable scenario.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 11:44 ----------

This is the bit I don't get. You disregard evidence from people who have been smacked as a child. You say inspite of this we are still wrong. Yet many people were smacked as children and live law abiding happy lives so surely it works. You may not agree with smacking and chose to do it yourself, that is absolutely fine. But you cant dismiss evidence that in some cases it works and dictate to others how to discipline their child.

This isn't evidence that it works; it's evidence that it doesn't harm some people as much as others.

Some folks take heroin recreationally and never become addicts; doesn't mean heroin is a good thing and we should all use it.