Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

So why in your opinion was 1/3 of 1600 respondents sexually assaulted?

why not 80, 90, 100% if such an emotive subject.

Self selecting bias doesn't mean that only people who've been assaulted will vote. Just that they are more likely to do so. :roll:

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:45 ----------

I 've seen them in tokyo and osaka, but groping during rush hour has evolved into an art form over there:love:

btw/does this mean that in the future they'll be gay only carriages ,lesbian,transgender ,burqa only?

Nobody groped me in Tokyo :mad:

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:46 ----------

Because out of their 4.3 million members only 1600 responded and only 533 said they had been sexually assaulted, what it tells us is that 99.9% of people that could have responded to the survey didn't, so out of 4.3million people only 0.0001% claimed to have been sexually abused.

That's also not a valid statistic. Not responding is not the same as saying you haven't been assaulted.

Very good point. Would you also consider that because of the crowded nature of trains that some reports of someone brushing up against in a woman in a pervy way might just be accidental?

I can't say. I haven't been on a train in decades!

I guess so!

Self selecting bias doesn't mean that only people who've been assaulted will vote. Just that they are more likely to do so. :roll:

we could assume the percentage would be higher. I would think so.

Even so, 1600 women, 1/3 assaulted, 1 in 10 raped.

Alarming figures.

potentially thousands of assaults on trains by men. its not about being 'scared'.

its a problem otherwise we wouldnt be talking about it.

Terrorist attacks by Muslims is a real problem too. Why is it acceptable to fear sexual assault but not fear terrorism? Why can't we have a non-Muslim carriage if we can have a non-male carriage? Why can't you answer my questions?

we could assume the percentage would be higher. I would think so.

Even so, 1600 women, 1/3 assaulted, 1 in 10 raped.

Alarming figures.

You're assuming the survey is truthful...you can't just take figures from an internet survey at face value..I feel we've come full circle here..

Answer my question. Why can't there be a non-Muslim carriage if there can be a female one?

Because generally you are not at risk of a muslim train terrorist attack.

The odds are minute - probably 10000 times less likely to happen than an assault.

You're assuming the survey is truthful...you can't just take figures from an internet survey at face value..I feel we've come full circle here..

how else do you take it?

we can assume its slightly wrong, but 1600 women responded (according to mumsnet).

we are back at the statement 'if you have a better study, lets see it'.

:rolleyes: