Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

And that was my other point. Are these carriages going to be policed or will it just be a convenient magnet for perverts? And how many carriages per train are going to be women only?

Quite possibly.

I don't think segregation is the way forward personally. I've been groped (not on a train), and at the time I was so surprised, I just couldn't believe it happened. i just stood there with a stupid, surprised look on my face. By the time I turned round, the potential perps had walked by. I was talking to a chap at the time, and he only realised what had happened by the look on my face (he was pretty shocked when he realised what had happened right in front of him). The thing that most annoys me about it is that I didn't immediately turn round and shout "pervert" or something similar.

Perhaps the answer is to teach women to make a fuss, stand up for themselves. Easier said than done when you're in the situation.

The other answer, as others have said, is to have more staff at hand, both to put off potential pests and to report them to if something does happen. However, the way things are going, there'll be fewer staff (and police) not more.

welcome Tim, you are one of my favourite people on SF :cool: cool guy.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:09 ----------

[

/COLOR]

no more bickering from me - scouts honour :D

I'm genuinely moved on how close you two have become over a women only carriages debate :love:

maybe they could have carriages for lovers tiffs:love::love:

Terrorist attacks by Muslims is a real problem too.

Its a problem if you have an individual prejudice about muslims. Not on actual terrorist attacks on UK trains (reality).

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:58 ----------

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:09 ----------

[

I'm genuinely moved on how close you two have become over a women only carriages debate :love:

maybe they could have carriages for lovers tiffs:love::love:

bromance is a wonderful thing :love:

Edited by TJC1

Because generally you are not at risk of a muslim train terrorist attack.

The odds are minute - probably 10000 times less likely to happen than an assault.

Have you got stats to back that up? Also, even if true, the consequences of terrorism are much worse, and risk assessment is about not only probability but also consequences. Why is one form of segregation acceptable but not another?

2 terrorist attacks on train systems in 40 years.

1 was by IRA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_involving_railway_systems

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 16:02 ----------

Have you got stats to back that up? Also, even if true, the consequences of terrorism are much worse, and risk assessment is about not only probability but also consequences. Why is one form of segregation acceptable but not another?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_involving_railway_systems

Im not even sure if the 2005 train attack was by muslims.....someone else can fill you in.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 16:04 ----------

about 1bn train journeys per year, about 40 billion to one chance of a muslim terorist train attack....

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 16:06 ----------

Why is one form of segregation acceptable but not another?

as demonstrated, one is much more likely to happen than the other....

to be serious it doesn't combat the actual issues surrounding Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment. do we really want to go down the same road as most muslim countries and legitimise Men as being these sex obsessed perverts who should be kept on a lead. I also fear that segregating the genders push forward the disgusting idea that their is a 'lesser' gender.

Long time ago, I was taking a late evening train to Manchester from Sheffield Midland back to my Navy base in Lancashire. Three young women came in with their Granny. We chatted a while then one of the girls asked the others if it would be OK to turn out the light so we could get a nap. Not long afterwards Granny turned the light back on saying she was scared in the dark because there was a man in the carriage, meaning me. I thought then and still do, Granny you're the least one in trouble.

to be serious it doesn't combat the actual issues surrounding Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment. do we really want to go down the same road as most muslim countries and legitimise Men as being these sex obsessed perverts who should be kept on a lead. I also fear that segregating the genders push forward the disgusting idea that their is a 'lesser' gender.

I agree and it's a catch-22 in a way. If women are getting assaulted (more so than other groups) and there is a fairly easy option to protect them, then why shouldn't it be taken? But it doesn't fix the issue does it? In fact all it might make women seem even more unobtainable and more desirable by some men ad so make them inflict more sexual assaults once the woman gets off the train. It's a similar thing to telling women to go home in groups, that group of women might be ok, but the girl who ends up having to go home alone for whatever reason might get attacked instead.

Education of both men and women as to what's acceptable, zero tolerance and better enforcement has to be the only way forward.