Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

Self selecting bias doesn't mean that only people who've been assaulted will vote. Just that they are more likely to do so. :roll:

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:45 ----------

Nobody groped me in Tokyo :mad:

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 15:46 ----------

That's also not a valid statistic. Not responding is not the same as saying you haven't been assaulted.

I didn't say or imply that not responding is the same as saying you haven't been assaulted or that it was a valid statistic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_involving_railway_systems

you dont seem too bright atm but im assuming you can read?

Sadly, I tend to agree with a lot of your ideas but then you chuck in clearly made up stats and you lose any credibility. So what percentage of women do you think have been assaulted on a train? Because the answer isn't going to be a highly unreliable Mumsnet survey. It doesn't mean your general point is wrong, but research reliable and sensible figures before putting them in here, or don't post any at all...

Quite possibly.

I don't think segregation is the way forward personally. I've been groped (not on a train), and at the time I was so surprised, I just couldn't believe it happened. i just stood there with a stupid, surprised look on my face. By the time I turned round, the potential perps had walked by. I was talking to a chap at the time, and he only realised what had happened by the look on my face (he was pretty shocked when he realised what had happened right in front of him). The thing that most annoys me about it is that I didn't immediately turn round and shout "pervert" or something similar.

Perhaps the answer is to teach women to make a fuss, stand up for themselves. Easier said than done when you're in the situation.

The other answer, as others have said, is to have more staff at hand, both to put off potential pests and to report them to if something does happen. However, the way things are going, there'll be fewer staff (and police) not more.

Already happening, kids are being taught to make a fuss if they are touched in an inappropriate way.

2 terrorist attacks on train systems in 40 years.

1 was by IRA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_involving_railway_systems

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 16:02 ----------

Im not even sure if the 2005 train attack was by muslims.....someone else can fill you in.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 16:04 ----------

about 1bn train journeys per year, about 40 billion to one chance of a muslim terorist train attack....

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 16:06 ----------

as demonstrated, one is much more likely to happen than the other....

Stats on assault on female passenger per thousand miles?

You're naive to your own hypocrisy. You think it's ok to discriminate against all men because a small number commit sexual assault, but not ok to discriminate against all Muslims because a small number of them commit terrorism.

You've not even answered all my questions, but taking your response to the one on non-Muslim carriages in isolation, what is the statistical probability that determines whether a group of people deserve their own carriage? Where is the line drawn? Obviously somewhere between the probability of assault and terrorism, but where? Who decides? How often would the stats on all train crime be reviewed, in case another crime became more likely?

Sadly, I tend to agree with a lot of your ideas but then you chuck in clearly made up stats and you lose any credibility. So what percentage of women do you think have been assaulted on a train? Because the answer isn't going to be a highly unreliable Mumsnet survey. It doesn't mean your general point is wrong, but research reliable and sensible figures before putting them in here, or don't post any at all...

What made up stats? You need to be a bit clearer

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 17:05 ----------

Stats on assault on female passenger per thousand miles?

You're naive to your own hypocrisy. You think it's ok to discriminate against all men because a small number commit sexual assault, but not ok to discriminate against all Muslims because a small number of them commit terrorism.

You've not even answered all my questions, but taking your response to the one on non-Muslim carriages in isolation, what is the statistical probability that determines whether a group of people deserve their own carriage? Where is the line drawn? Obviously somewhere between the probability of assault and terrorism, but where? Who decides? How often would the stats on all train crime be reviewed, in case another crime became more likely?

You work it out. its 40bn to 1 you will get a terrorist attack on a train by a muslim.

based on the last 40 years.

its possibly around 200k to 1 of a sexual assault on female.

Depending on how you interpret unreported data.

So on that basis no need for muslims and whites to be segregated.

So what percentage of women do you think have been assaulted on a train?

I think around 1 in 200000.

Considering the numbers travelling on trains, its significant.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 17:10 ----------

and thats based on 4/5 of sexual crimes go unreported.

Nothing made up about it.

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 17:15 ----------

http://orr.gov.uk/news-and-media/email-alerts/2012/rail-passenger-journeys-across-great-britain-reach-record-levels

Heres data on number of train journeys.

What made up stats? You need to be a bit clearer

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 17:05 ----------

You work it out. its 40bn to 1 you will get a terrorist attack on a train by a muslim.

based on the last 40 years.

its possibly around 200k to 1 of a sexual assault on female.

Depending on how you interpret unreported data.

So on that basis no need for muslims and whites to be segregated.

Whites can be Muslims. Who said anything about race?

Your stats are questionable and you ignored my point about the other aspect of risk assessment - consequences. That aside....

What is the statistical probability that determines whether a group of people deserve their own carriage? Where is the line drawn? Obviously somewhere between the probability of assault and terrorism, but where? Who decides? How often would the stats on all train crime be reviewed, in case another crime became more likely?

Where is the line drawn? Obviously somewhere between the probability of assault and terrorism, but where? Who decides? How often would the stats on all train crime be reviewed, in case another crime became more likely?

The lines drawn at the most vulnerable group travelling on trains. Clearly its women.

hence why women have spoke to corbyn and there is now an open debate.