Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

Haha, you are as much as a mug as Corbyn is for pushing every stupid idea brought to his door by every fruitcake in town. Have you emailed him yet with one of yours? :hihi:

Sexually assaulted females are fruitcakes? Thats nice.

Haha, you are as much as a mug as Corbyn is for pushing every stupid idea brought to his door by every fruitcake in town. Have you emailed him yet with one of yours? :hihi:

Don't focus on the fact that Corbyn brought this up, he's just the latest one - Grauniad quote:

Claire Perry, the Conservative transport minister, had previously told a meeting at her party conference that she was open to the idea of introducing women-only carriages.

Better to focus on the reactions of women:

The End Violence Against Women Coalition tweeted that this was a “terrible idea”, saying that it implied harassment against women would be acceptable in mixed carriages.

The Tory MP Sarah Wollaston, who chairs the Commons health committee, said segregating women on public transport “just normalises unacceptable attitudes”. The proposal would not tackle the underlying causes of sexual violence, she said.

“In countries where women are segregated on public transport, this is a marker for disempowerment not safety,” she said in a tweet.

And from The Independent:

Laura Bates, of the Everyday Sexism Project, said Mr Corbyn’s plan to consult with women was “the way forward”, but she was strongly against women-only train carriages.

“I think it would be a real step backwards,” she said. “It sends the message that harassment is inevitable, perpetrators are unable to help themselves and women should simply find a way round it.”

It doesn't seem that many women actually think the idea is a good one.

I think his response was about the best he could have made, but frankly the idea is a bad one.

apart from the women who came forward...i dont think we can make that judgement based on a few quotes.

Optional carriages must be considered, nobody forcing females to use them.

Of course you can make a judgement. He's the only one who's thought long and hard enough about it to deliberately include it in a leadership manifesto though so I don't think it can be dismissed as something that he's not totally responsible for.

http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/end_street_harassment

Don't focus on the fact that Corbyn brought this up, he's just the latest one

I deliberately didn't mention Corbyn in my first post and I agree that it's a barmy idea no matter who brings it up. It just happens to be in Corbyn's policy manifesto.

Don't focus on the fact that Corbyn brought this up, he's just the latest one - Grauniad quote:

Better to focus on the reactions of women:

And from The Independent:

Certain men cant control these urges. Patently clear.

pretending the problem doesnt exist is not the answer.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 15:59 ----------

Of course you can make a judgement. He's the only one who's thought long and hard enough about it to deliberately include it in a leadership manifesto though so I don't think it can be dismissed as something that he's not totally responsible for.

http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/end_street_harassment

I deliberately didn't mention Corbyn in my first post and I agree that it's a barmy idea no matter who brings it up. It just happens to be in Corbyn's policy manifesto.

It was rolled out and trialed in other countries...was he responsible for that too?

Rofl!!!!!

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 16:02 ----------

Nobody is forcing females to use the carriages....more room for us men.

Certain men cant control these urges. Patently clear.

pretending the problem doesnt exist is not the answer.

Nobody's pretending the problem of sexual assaults against women doesn't exist. We, as well as people such as The End Violence Against Women Coalition and the Everyday Sexism Project, are arguing that separate train carriages is not a solution to the problem.

Nobody's pretending the problem of sexual assaults against women doesn't exist. We, as well as people such as The End Violence Against Women Coalition and the Everyday Sexism Project, are arguing that separate train carriages is not a solution to the problem.

what is the solution (s)?

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 16:26 ----------

and if there was a solution, how come it hasnt been successful yet?

genuine question.

TJC1 the use of these carriages could actually increase sexual assaults. Women who don't use the carriage for whatever reason become acceptable targets because if they didn't want to be groped they would have been in the womans only carriage wouldn't they?