Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

As usually happens this topic has descended to the level of mud slinging.

As a woman I would like to state the following.

Women only carriages would not protect women: self confidence and self defence classes might.

Women only carriages would be wrong on several levels:

overcrowded trains would become more overcrowded in some areas and underused in others;

this would also lead to an imbalance in weight distribution throughout the train;

restricting the use of a service for which everyone is paying is normally done by the addition of a premium. As women still on average only earn 97% of the average wage for a male in the same occupation or like occupation this would be an extra burden of cost on those women who felt the need to use a restricted carriage;

men who molest women may actually feel less intimidated in a carriage with only women in it(has any research been done on this). Most abuse takes place when there are fewer people around and no other men present unless this is gang rape, take for instance abuse in the home.

Many restrictive practices are introduced with the proposal that this will make it safer for whoever is to be restricted, take for instance the burqa, the restriction often segregates in some way a section of society who become disadvantaged, the burqa makes movement difficult and breathing laboured due to restricted oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange.

Women only carriages could become the thin end of a wedge between men and women when what Britain has been working towards is greater equality, understanding and respect between the sexes.

In Britain one is presumed innocent until proven guilty, Women Only Carraiges would presume guilt En Masse.

Men and women in Britain are expected to control their behaviour. Only very young children and animals are excused to a certain point after which there are sanctions that can be taken.

Does anyone want to label men as animals or children, if so I suggest that it is they who are corralled not women.

I can just here the evidence in court in a prosecution for assault on a female.

The complainant was not in a female only carriage m'lud therefore the defendant was at liberty to take liberties, as she clearly did not object to the company of men or their uncontrollable animal instincts.

No Women Only Carriages are the worst idea since women don't need an education.

Justifications don't stop something being discriminatory.

If it were that bad I'd expect there to be police on trains to arrest those doing the groping, that would actually address the problem.

Depends how you define it. If you're talking about discrimination being the act of differentiating, then you're right. If you're talking about it being the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, then you're wrong.

We treat different people with different needs in different ways all the time. We discriminate between old, young, fit, healthy, big, small, and so on.

There's a difference between servicing specific needs and being unfair.

If I helped a little old lady with bad eyesight to cross the road, would you jump up and down and say "That's not fair, why didn't you help me?" Or would you think that the little old lady might need help and you don't so fair enough?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating separate train carriages, it would be a bobbins idea. I'm just saying that if a measure is implemented to help people with a particular problem, then it's valid and claiming "not fair" isn't very useful.