Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

The basis that its unfairly discriminatory is wrong.

it might not be a good idea for social reasons...but delhi do it. the evidence is there it works.

Is that what you took from India? That womens only carriages work?

India has a huge problem with rape and sexual assault, so clearly the train carriage is not a solution.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 13:34 ----------

Depends how you define it. If you're talking about discrimination being the act of differentiating, then you're right. If you're talking about it being the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, then you're wrong.

We treat different people with different needs in different ways all the time. We discriminate between old, young, fit, healthy, big, small, and so on.

How so?

Are fat people charged more on airplanes?

Do fit people get a discount when going to the gym (or pay more maybe).

Is age discrimination legal in any way?

There's a difference between servicing specific needs and being unfair.

If I helped a little old lady with bad eyesight to cross the road, would you jump up and down and say "That's not fair, why didn't you help me?" Or would you think that the little old lady might need help and you don't so fair enough?

You personally are free to discriminate, we aren't talking about individuals though, we're talking about a public transport provider.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating separate train carriages, it would be a bobbins idea. I'm just saying that if a measure is implemented to help people with a particular problem, then it's valid and claiming "not fair" isn't very useful.

Perhaps. Discrimination was only one of the long list of reasons this idea was nuts though.

but delhi do it. the evidence is there it works.

Your trolling has reached new heights.

According to data accessed by the The Indian Express, incidents of murder went up to 270 by end of 2013, from 245 in 2009, while the number of rapes doubled to 54 during that period. From just 209 in 2005, the total “crimes against women other than rape”, too, jumped to 639 during the last one year and most of them happened inside trains. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/maharashtra/railway-crime-count-rapes-double-in-5-years-murders-too-jump/#sthash.EK4yEL0B.dpuf

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/maharashtra/railway-crime-count-rapes-double-in-5-years-murders-too-jump/

You claim it works in Delhi. You have not shown any evidence. We do not live in Delhi. We live in Britain. Read my earlier post.

I repeat: Adults in Britain are expected to be able to control themselves, only children and animals are excused from this responsibility to some extent.

By the way Children are expected to be educated by adults who can control themselves and Animals controlled by their owners. How would you categorise men Children or Animals?

You claim it works in Delhi. You have not shown any evidence. We do not live in Delhi. We live in Britain. Read my earlier post.

I repeat: Adults in Britain are expected to be able to control themselves, only children and animals are excused from this responsibility to some extent.

By the way Children are expected to be educated by adults who can control themselves and Animals controlled by their owners. How would you categorise men Children or Animals?

The evidence presented was from a huge country not one city.

Its like saying sheffield has a crime problem and then comparing to london and uk.