Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

Ah, right, I can see where you're coming from now - apols it's taken so long. It's only that way if you choose to see it in those terms. Some will that all men are being tarred with the same brush, others will see it as giving a women a choice of feeling safer.

And some will see it as an opportunity to coral women or put them in Purda. I repeat we have been trying to increase respect and understanding in this country not divide and segregate. We need confidence and assertiveness classes not separate railway carriages. What next Completely segregated busses, schools, universities, hospitals, shops? Do we designate streets as women or men only, railway station platforms must be a prime place for a target by a lowlife groper why not separate the sexes altogether and give us all a burqa to protect us from prying eyes. We could go one better and emigrate to Afghanistan.

Also, if this is just to make women feel safer rather than necessarily being safer, is it valid to begin with?

I would feel safer if I didn't have to travel on the train with drunken football supporters, but I have no choice. I would definitely feel discriminated against if women could choose to be in another carriage away from them (for the same price I paid), yet I could not.

Seen as we cant compare a UK city, shouldnt we look at Delhi and see how it works, if it works, and how it could be improved?

thats just common sense.

I don't think we want to copy anything that Delhi does, or model anything in the UK on something from Delhi.

I`m sorry I haven`t got time to read this entire thread, but has anyone made the obvious point that if trains have all women carriages (with no corresponding all male carriages) then, by definition, there would be fewer seats for men ?

In a roundabout way, yes. To summarise, everyone realises it's a bad idea for a whole host of reasons, except for TJC1, who thinks all of his fellow male gender are rampant perverts just waiting for an opportunity to grope and rape at will.

In a roundabout way, yes. To summarise, everyone realises it's a bad idea for a whole host of reasons, except for TJC1, who thinks all of his fellow male gender are rampant perverts just waiting for an opportunity to grope and rape at will.

Re my bold.

That is your opinion...not fact...unless of course you have incontrovertible proof.

Re my bold.

That is your opinion...not fact...unless of course you have incontrovertible proof.

The proof is in the thread which I was summarising for the benefit of someone who admitted they couldn't be arsed to read it all. Maybe "everyone" is hyperbolic, but based on posts and the poll it's around 90%. Is that proof enough for you?

The proof is in the thread which I was summarising for the benefit of someone who admitted they couldn't be arsed to read it all. Maybe "everyone" is hyperbolic, but based on posts and the poll it's around 90%. Is that proof enough for you?

In what context of the word did you want me to understand "maybe?"

Since when did 90% come to mean "everyone?"

Admittedly it's a long time since I was at school but unless mathematics have changed I've always equated "everyone" to tally with 100%.

So to answer your last question my answer is no!

In what context of the word did you want me to understand "maybe?"

Since when did 90% come to mean "everyone?"

Admittedly it's a long time since I was at school but unless mathematics have changed I've always equated "everyone" to tally with 100%.

So to answer your last question my answer is no!

Now you're just being a pedant. It was an approximate way to summarise the content of the thread, not a basis for statistical analysis.