Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

OOO get you! :hihi:

This non-starter of an idea has been torn to pieces and you know it.

You wouldn't want to know what I know...trust me...I'm a Swami! ;)

---------- Post added 05-09-2015 at 10:35 ----------

It wasn't a fact, it was a lighthearted summary of one of the stupidest threads to ever grace SF. Get a grip in future. Oh, and.... ;)

I learn something new every day. :hihi:

And some will see it as an opportunity to coral women or put them in Purda. I repeat we have been trying to increase respect and understanding in this country not divide and segregate. We need confidence and assertiveness classes not separate railway carriages. What next Completely segregated busses, schools, universities, hospitals, shops? Do we designate streets as women or men only, railway station platforms must be a prime place for a target by a lowlife groper why not separate the sexes altogether and give us all a burqa to protect us from prying eyes. We could go one better and emigrate to Afghanistan.

I think you must have read my last post without following the previous ones - you're preaching to the converted. As I've repeatedly stated, I think women only carriages are a bobbins idea. A few of us were discussing what it means to discriminate.

Edited by Olive

Quite.

To discriminate is perfectly OK. You like fine wine? You want a reliable car? You seek the best employee for a job? You prefer to travel by car rather than by train? These are all examples of discrimination.

But what's not lawful is unlawful discrimination, i.e. taking into consideration irrelevant factors (e.g. the job applicant's personal characteristics that would have no bearing on ability to do the job).

Quite.

To discriminate is perfectly OK. You like fine wine? You want a reliable car? You seek the best employee for a job? You prefer to travel by car rather than by train? These are all examples of discrimination.

But what's not lawful is unlawful discrimination, i.e. taking into consideration irrelevant factors (e.g. the job applicant's personal characteristics that would have no bearing on ability to do the job).

Excellent point. We discriminate all the time - which goes back to my original assertion that this suggestion is not anti-men - it's pro-women.

Quite.

Or, as another random example, being prevented from certain parts of public transport due to being presumed a potential sex pest on grounds of being born as the "wrong" gender.

• 2 weeks later...