What age is middle aged? investigation.

I think you're old when your age is old.
I think you're old, or even middle-aged, when you are so in your head, and not before.

I'm 42, with the body of a reasonably fit 30-something (by comparison to average male anatomies observed on hols in past 2 weeks), and still younger in the head in some respects :hihi:

do you work out?
Nope.

Taekwondo 2 or 3 times a week, 2x 30 mins dog walks daily, and the odd swimming session once in a blue moon. That's it. Plus whatever I may fit when on holidays (scuba, sailing, windsurfing, swimming, volleyball, <etc.>)

I eat a balanced diet, eat at regular times, generally don't booze much and generally don't eat sweets/snacks/take-aways.

It's not an insult, there's no need for rolling the eyes!

Some people at the age of 40 look like they're about to drop dead, they don't do any exercise, they don't look after themselves. Perhaps they consider themselves middle aged.

Other exercise, do look after themselves, keep their minds fresh and don't consider themselves to be middle aged. That's a good thing IMO.

That is a work out, it's just not in the gym.
no, its a lifestyle

A workout is purposely doing something to be fitter than you otherwise would be. Usually some form of planned training.

If he prefers walking instead of taking the car because he enjoys fresh air and doing exciting things on hols, that's not working out

TKD is planned training, although perhaps it only counts if staying fit is one of the reasons for doing it... But even if it's not a reason, you still get exercise and from a planned activity.

I'd agree about walking.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 13:32 ----------

No, because your life expectancy isn't 100, it's 80 ish. So middle age is around 40.

How do you know my life expectancy?

I think you mean the general life expectancy for a white male in the UK of my age. It's possible to get a more accurate prediction though based on other behaviours.

http://www.confused.com/life-insurance/life-expectancy-calculator

This is pretty basic, but it gives me an expectancy of 86.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2646104/How-long-YOU-live-Take-interactive-test-based-stress-levels-diet-lifestyle.html

This one tells me 89.

Edited by Cyclone