Sheffields ugly buildings

In no particular order:

The cheesegrater car park

Hallam uni students union building

The uni Diamond

The uni Music dept building (the one that looks like a black quilted cube)

The cubes on stilts that look out onto Sheaf Street and the bus station

This thing

And this thing

The uni Psychology department (though the trees are doing a good job of screening it, these days).

This collection of horrors

The Manpower Services Commission building at the bottom of The Moor

Nice going, Sheffield university.

Serious question here … how to you upload images from Google earth? This is something I've never got the hang of. Does it involve the F buttons at the top of my typewriter, none of which I have the foggiest idea of their raison d'être? :huh:

Old manpower building = depressing

Meadowhall = tacky.

O2 Roxy complex = ugly, sinister

Park hill =industrial monolith

Grovener hotel = Loppy, Bates motel.

Wolsey road mosque = poor design, out of place.

Whitbread brewery apartments = boring, unimaginative.

Elm tree Manor top = House on the hill.

Arena = Wasred opportunity

Ponds forge design = ?

Any more?

I find most of the new University building look rather tacky and tasteless. Not sure they will age well.

...worst eyesore for me is the old Niche nightclub and the buildings behide it.
I can't help but that find building and it's surrounding area somewhat attractive, in a weird kind of post-industrialist way. The big council office at bottom of the Moor is awful though, it looks like something from a dystopian science fiction novel written in the 60's.

Parkhill flats! What a hideous welcome to any visitor to Sheffield as they crawl down the Parkway in the traffic jam.

The Crucible still looks like it hasn't been finished, and the new market looks like it was built by apprentices (in their first year).

Oh yeah ... the Manpower Services building, all of the Moor, all of the university buildings on the corner of Upper Hanover street and Broad Lane, including/especially the new plastic spiders web looking monstrosity. The verdigris beridden university building opposite looks fairly okay, apart from poor build quality.

Agree - They are sooo Tacky, all done in the worst possible taste. :gag:

All the student flats that kill the soul of Sheffield.

Agreed - sometimes some buidings need a bit of age to make them distinctive, but you know that with a lot of these luxury flaps/ posh student accommodation, in 20 years time they're gonna look cheap & nasty.

I love the cheese grater, especially when it's lit up at night.

We need more interesting buildings in Sheffield, like the cheese grater etc. Most of Sheffield'd architecture is rather bland and boring.

I hate the cheese grater in the day, but love it night. In fact, walking up Eyre Street at dusk is great with the fire station lit up & the cheese grater lit up looks like a sci fi novel!

I can't help but that find building and it's surrounding area somewhat attractive, in a weird kind of post-industrialist way. The big council office at bottom of the Moor is awful though, it looks like something from a dystopian science fiction novel written in the 60's.

I think I'm the only person that likes that building - it's got a strangeness about it that's quite alluring. That glass & steel monstrosity behind it, 'Velocity' is hideous!!! Uninspiring and soulless - much like many of the new developments down West Bar up & Ecclesial Road.

I think I'm the only person that likes that building - it's got a strangeness about it that's quite alluring. That glass & steel monstrosity behind it, 'Velocity' is hideous!!! Uninspiring and soulless - much like many of the new developments down West Bar up & Ecclesial Road.
To be fair, as much as I find it creepy, I suppose there is a definite allure to it. When I first moved to Sheff I was fascinated with it and it was one of the most noticeable buildings, for sure. So in retrospect, I agree that it definitely has its place.

To be fair, as much as I find it creepy, I suppose there is a definite allure to it. When I first moved to Sheff I was fascinated with it and it was one of the most noticeable buildings, for sure. So in retrospect, I agree that it definitely has its place.

Creepy is a good word for it. I've been inside there once about 15 years ago & it has a 60s designed carpet similar to the one in The Shining!

Council estates. Like gleadless valley.

Or try moore street, off roundabout bottom of eccy road.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 07:43 ----------

Park hill flats - le corbusier....

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 07:44 ----------

Urban splash redesigned though. Park hill flats are pleasant inside.

---------- Post added 28-08-2015 at 07:45 ----------

Its a shame sheff got flattened in WWII.

We would have a lovely city.

I was unaware that the great Corbusier had ever worked in Sheffield ,so thrilled.

I was unaware that the great Corbusier had ever worked in Sheffield ,so thrilled.

He hasn't, is the short answer to that.

Architects Jack Lynn and Ivor Smith are responsible for that particular monstrosity known as Hyde Park Flats, having been 'inspired' by the very much better at doing things, Le Corbusier.