Sheffields ugly buildings

I think the green plasticky looking domes are letting it down.Somebody else said it needed copper domes to finish it off instead of the green ones.I am guessing it was probably down to cost.

More likely that green was the favourite colour of Mohammed - if you go to arab countries you'll see a lot of green for this reason. It turns out he was much more into tacky green than tasteful copper.

The Moor. This is a total mismatch of plain buildings. The new market is out of proportion as well as being in the wrong place.

The building below JLP. The red scaffolding should have been removed long ago.

The Grosvenor Hotel. Thank goodness it is to be demolished.

The Jessop's hospital replacement building for Sheffield University. Not on the same planet as the original Red Brick on Weston Bank or Mappin Street.

Not really though, is it?

Are you just like the rest - afraid to comment on the mosque?

I'll comment about it, built in the wrong place and totally out of proportion to it's surroundings. I remember the old Co-op that was on the site from when I was a kid with the old ball and rack system overhead to send change and mil checks out from the upstairs (I think) to the tills.

I've seen bigger and better looking mosques around the country surrounded by trees etc and not terraced housing.

I must be very unusual then because I really like most of the newer buildings around the university, including the Information Commons, the Diamond (which I think looks like a very large Argyll sweater) and the black quilted one.

I dislike the Park Hill flats and places like the strange concrete flat blocks which are adjacent to Blackstock Road, and I've got no affection for many tower blocks.

As someone who only gets to visit Sheffield every few years, I'll single two ugly buildings out for special mention. First, the Park Hill Flats that dominate the skyline with their gaudy colors; second, that red piece of iron work in Barker's Pool that looks like scaffolding where the Gaumont cinema once was.

As someone who only gets to visit Sheffield every few years, I'll single two ugly buildings out for special mention. First, the Park Hill Flats that dominate the skyline with their gaudy colors; second, that red piece of iron work in Barker's Pool that looks like scaffolding where the Gaumont cinema once was.

R.I.pP The Gaumont :(

spent many a time in there, brilliant place as a kid, along with redgates, the arcade near it, and just micro