Sheffields ugly buildings

The mirrored building with the red frame makes more sense stylistically if you walk down the side of John Lewis and then look back towards the Fountain Precinct so the red frame building and Fountain Precinct form a single sort of steeet scene perspective. The two buildings work well together from that angle, don't get me wrong Im not saying they're great buildings, just that I think that angle of view gives you some idea of what was being thought of in terms of aspiration.

• 3 weeks later...
I like it.

There is a thread for beautiful buildings. This isn't it.:)

Hi, sibon.

I drove past the mosque today and had a proper look at it. You are right - it does belong in this thread. It is ugly, and how it got planning consent beggars belief. Thanks for opening my eyes to it. :)

• 1 month later...

Surprised Hallamshire hospital has had so little mention, it stands out like a sore thumb from various viewpoints around the city... up on Parkwood Springs or looking back over your shoulder heading out Porter Valley, there it is. When I was less familiar with Sheffield's buildings I used to confuse it with Hallam Towers, it looks so derelict! Think part of the illusion arises from some of the windows being dark, which makes them look like they've been smashed in from a distance.

Then again, I'm from near Plymouth originally. Get an eyeful of the grubby concrete tumours rising out of Plymouth and you'll never complain about Sheffield again. Listed concrete tumours, I should add.

Actually, one new building which I think is a total eyesore is the Tesco building on Spital Street. It looks like it's been built out of only the colours of Lego that nobody else wants to use.

Agree about Tesco building on spital street. its awful Also Large blue building on corner of Derek Dooley Way and Parkway

I'm afraid old age has crept up on you both - bet you didn't see that coming. :(

The number one ugliest building has got to be the new woodburning plant at the side of Tinsley viaduct. A big black centre of misery, unaesthetic on the eye and painted in drab black. And that is one of the first things you see coming into Sheffield. Alongside Meadowhell, of course.