Using a mobile whilst driving?

sat nav, the law states you can't watch a screen while driving, so why are they allowed, and why haven't more people been fined for having these stupid things in front of them, lets be honest if you need a sat nav to find out where you are going, you are either a bad driver because you don't follow the road signs, or you are just an idiot full stop!

Wonder how the iDrive works on a BMW then - the whole thing is just a big screen for almost all car functions, and the windscreen has speedo, satnav, etc all projected onto it in mine....

• 1 month later...

My OH's car radio has Bluetooth and a USB port, I plug my phone into it to play my music, and I found out that if you use the Google maps app to navigate it will tell you the instructions through the radio, which is very handy :)

You can also answer the phone through the radio, but that function doesn't work too well, so I use headphones instead if I need to make a call. I have the ones with the little remote that you can use to voice command the phone.

Its an aftermarket radio I think (car is a 51 plate). I used to have one in my old car, I would definetly get another if I had a car of my own, if only for the music and sat nav abilities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36475180

Apparently hands free phone conversations are just as dangerous as hand held ones...

Which goes back to a point I've asked before then about conversations with passengers, presumably these are equally distracting and dangerous.

I have said this many times before. However, apparently the result of the findings was that this is not the case as passengers would be aware of road conditions and issues such as you having to navigate a tricky roundabout or intersection whereas a person on the phone would not.

IMHO this is complete horse cr@p as they would only be aware if they were also drivers themselves, and certainly not aware if they were children who were fighting in the back seat. As borne out by the woman who once slammed her anchors on in front on me and in the middle of a junction to turn round and yell at her misbehaving kids. Seriously.

So if they are going to take hands free off us can I also recommend that all cars now become 1 or 2 seater with a separate trailer towed for passengers? Or we could go back to the old school motorbike and sidecar perhaps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36475180

Apparently hands free phone conversations are just as dangerous as hand held ones...

Which goes back to a point I've asked before then about conversations with passengers, presumably these are equally distracting and dangerous.

To an extent the same can be said for radio as well, especially if the driver is engaged in a topic on talk radio.

What the study doesn't touch on is the visual impairment caused by holding the latest dinner plate sized smartphones upto your head.

I just tried it, and I can't see the phone in my peripheral vision when I hold it to my ear.

Perhaps your ears are in an unusual place?

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 10:57 ----------

I have said this many times before. However, apparently the result of the findings was that this is not the case as passengers would be aware of road conditions and issues such as you having to navigate a tricky roundabout or intersection whereas a person on the phone would not.

That entirely depends on the passengers. Some people don't drive, or won't be looking, or perhaps are sat in the back and can't see.

IMHO this is complete horse cr@p as they would only be aware if they were also drivers themselves, and certainly not aware if they were children who were fighting in the back seat. As borne out by the woman who once slammed her anchors on in front on me and in the middle of a junction to turn round and yell at her misbehaving kids. Seriously.

Yep, agreed.

I just tried it, and I can't see the phone in my peripheral vision when I hold it to my ear.

Perhaps your ears are in an unusual place?

Maybe my phones bigger?

My peripheral vision is also obscured by my hand holding said phone, and with it being held against the right side of my head movement to check my blind spot is much more difficult.

More so in a smaller car where you'll bash your arm against the B pillar or seat belt trying to move around.