Meadowhall cooling towers

Cooling towers are normally associated with electricity power stations aren't they?

So why are there two (now disused) cooling towers next to the Tinsley viaduct near Meadowhall Shopping Centre?

Also when reading an old Sheffield Wednesday history book the other day there was a picture of Wednesday v United being played at a charity game in the early 70s at Owlerton Stadium with cooling towers in the backgound there too.

The cooling towers next to MeadowHell were part of the Blackburn power station, way before MeadowHell was even thought of!!!

I was born in Attercliffe, and lived my youth in Darnall, and they were nicknamed "Salt and Pepper Pots" There is always rumours about knocking then down or using them for advertising, but I say keep them as they are.

The cooling towers you could see from Owlerton Stadium were at Neepsend Power Station. Neepsend was the first powerstation in Sheffield, built around 1906 or thereabouts.

It had four-steam driven generating sets:two BTH @ 22Mw (?) and two Metro-vicks @ 33 Mw(?). Some of the generating equipment were overhauled, begining in the late 1940's but by 1970 or so, the whole place would be just about worn out.

Blackburn Power station was a later and much larger station with more units. Don't know much about this station but suspect its units were also small and probably worn out by the 1980's or whenever it closed.

Both stations were built and operated by Sheffield Corporations Electricty Supply Department. At the time of Nationalisation (1947), they were taken over by the British Eletricity Authority (BEA), which ultimately became the Central Electricty Generating Board (CEGB).

• 4 weeks later...
The cooling towers next to MeadowHell were part of the Blackburn power station, way before MeadowHell was even thought of!!!

I was born in Attercliffe, and lived my youth in Darnall, and they were nicknamed "Salt and Pepper Pots".

That reminds me that during the second world war when Sheffield was filled to overflowing with Americans who were always saying that everything was bigger and better in America, when they asked about the cenotaph in Barker’s Pool we used to tell them them it was the main salt pot for fish and chip eaters.

P.S. Love seeing the twin coolers every time I go through on the M1. Like the idea of filling ’em with daffodils, but it’s impractical. Can’t see why they can’t advertise Sheffield though. When we hosted the Commonwealth Games in Manchester the site was — still is — dominated by a massive gas-holder which for a long time before, during and after the Games was hidden from the Stadium by a huge, top to bottom and half-way-round canvas advertising the Games. It worked quite well — eyesore hidden, games advertised! They did similar things to 19th century eyesore buildings in the city centre and they worked quite well too.

I jsut like them, I think they're an iconic image of Sheffield for a lot of people passing through ... they should be cleaned up and maybe the giant flowers idea investigated ... :P

EDIT: OMG - has the world shifted on its axis .... I just agreed with peterw :P

Archived