Meadowhall cooling towers

I believe the cooling towers refered to belonged to Blackburn Meadows Power Station. This was operational whilst I was at Neepsend in the early seventies. This was always a little confusing as Blackburn Meadows PS was in Sheffield not Blackburn as many assumed.

I am uncertain of the pre-vesting day history and it may well have belonged to the steel producers originally. However, by 1971/72, Blackburn Meadows was certainly owned by the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB), North East Region. I was interviewed there about the same time I was promoted from Bradford Power Station to Neepsend P S (1971/72).

I'm not much into football but I do remember being told at Neepsend to ensure that the operators watched the stack as any smoke was visible on TV if Sheffield Wednesday was palying at home. Maybe it was Neepsend's cooling towers that were seen.

I lived at wincobank 66-74, when blackburn meadows was still operating the steam blocked the sun out until mid morning, couple that with an easterly blowing the whiff of excreta from the sewage works it was a marvellous place to live, only kidding, it should have been twinned with chernobyl!

Archived