The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

The Little John pub in Hathersage has copies of the Gideon's bible. I've seen these in hotels but never pubs. I picked one up and read a section at random with my partner recently. Before a drink. I can remember laughing, because of the irrelevance. But nothing stuck.

I'm not uneducated or anti-religious. But come on. Wisdom is never the preserve of one age, one people. It evolves. It perhaps pays to be aware of some of the contents of the bible. I think some of the teachings/philosophy of Jesus do remain relevant. But let's not ever think one book or one person will cover all our needs in this area.

I'm with the majority of TEDsters. I'm not religious, but do consider myself to be spiritual in some way shape or form (as yet undefined)

Edited by DrNorm

In Jonathan Haidt's TED talk I linked to, he quotes Émile Durkheim who stated that the function of religion is to unite people in a moral community. In that respect we perhaps can see that as religions decline, little else is replacing religious communities with an intention of promoting moral behaviour. However for Christians that do remain part of a community that purports to promote moral values, the Bible continues to be a source of ideas and energy that they can draw upon. And it has history and some credibility.

It seems to me that many non believers are seduced into amoral communities (more and more online) and there is little that has the same power as a revered holy book.

As an atheist, I wish I could point to some other book that has anywhere close to the power as the bible continues to have (despite its irrelevance to the majority)

I would imagine you could say the same for all religious books. Would you agree meltedbell?

indeed, religion is a fantasy

but the topic is the bible Oo

---------- Post added 30-08-2015 at 23:03 ----------

Its one of those films that really would be better than the book :hihi:

theres been plenty of films made "from the bible"