The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

I've heard it all before, so I'm quite aware of what atheists say about manuscripts in order to dismiss the bible.

If I doubted all historian accuracy, I would be questioning much about I'd been taught, such as details of the authenticity of Plato, Socrates, and many other ancient writings about people I've heard about.

Faith for most Christians isn't just about what is written in the bible, it has to be experienced.

Wouldn't God want you to focus on more pressing matters like the invasion of our homeland by a bunch of terrorists, killers and benefit cheats?

Save bible discussions for church meetings.

Wouldn't God want you to focus on more pressing matters like the invasion of our homeland by a bunch of terrorists, killers and benefit cheats?

Save bible discussions for church meetings.

Not if I'm focusing on those issues with a bunch of racists and bigots.

I've heard it all before, so I'm quite aware of what atheists say about manuscripts in order to dismiss the bible.

Actually a lot of the doubt comes from religious scholars and if you read the New Jerusalem Bible there are plenty of annotations and side-notes explaining the contradictions. Its not about atheists just dismissing the bible but trying to understand how it came about.

If I doubted all historian accuracy, I would be questioning much about what I'd been taught, such as details of the authenticity of Plato, Socrates, and many other ancient writings about people I've heard about.

The trouble with that is that the Bible is not a history book and not historically correct. Some of the books in it are not even in the historical order that they were written.

Faith for most Christians isn't just about what is written in the bible, it has to be experienced.

Faith is also believing in something that is not necessarily true.

I'm agnostic as to the existence of the after life, but I think that the Bible can be a force for good. It motivates many to good things which often go unrecognised; but sadly, it can be a force for oppression and misery when bad people misinterpret or take things out of context.

As to whether it's awesome, well the New Testament provided the inspiration for Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth, which is brilliant.

Why is it that when myself and others have brought up the question of why Christians ignore the bad bits of the Bible it's met with either silence or people saying it's not the book, it's the faith that's important?

If the book is of so little importance where do you get your faith from? If you dismiss the stories presented in the Bible (which some of you are clearly doing - cherry picking the 'nice' bits) why do you have faith in the stories and people presented in it?

Genuine question

Edited by GhostRiders