Definition General suspension corrosion

Hi I am looking at purchasing a car history looks ok but on last MOT it states advisory -General suspension corrosion what does that really mean :loopy:?? It seems a bit wooly is it a potential expensive repair or not any views ?

cheers

db

You're right this does seem a bit vague and you haven't said what make model and year the car is.However testers do like to put advisories on because they think it makes it look like the car has had a really thorough check.My advice is always crawl under the car and look for excessive rust and corrosion anywhere.Also check the sump,fuel tank and exhaust for rot.If you have the slightest doubt forget it.I personally will not buy a car with less than 9 months test on ,then if anything does crop up in 2 or 3 months I can move it on as people do seem willing to buy a car with 6 months test.

Edited by ivan edake
punctuation

You're right this does seem a bit vague and you haven't said what make model and year the car is.However testers do like to put advisories on because they think it makes it look like the car has had a really thorough check.My advice is always crawl under the car and look for excessive rust and corrosion anywhere.Also check the sump,fuel tank and exhaust for rot.If you have the slightest doubt forget it.I personally will not buy a car with less than 9 months test on ,then if anything does crop up in 2 or 3 months I can move it on as people do seem willing to buy a car with 6 months test.

Actually, quite often it's just to cover their back. If they've spotted that the paint has flaked off a spring and it has mild/general surface rust but there are no fractures or damage, they shouldn't fail it and you'd likely be angry if they did.

At the same time, they can't predict the future. If they didn't mention the condition of the spring to you, you'd be angry at them if it collapsed two days later.

A suspension spring can go for years with surface rust causing no problems but there's always a chance it could be masking deeper corrosion which could go at any minute.