What is a benefits scrounger?

That's strange over the last few winters many pensioners have been found dead in their homes often dying in cold homes as many were afraid of getting a big bill. As for millionaire pensioners not seen many about Sheffield if they are entitled to claim a Fuel Allowance they should get it after all they paid into the system like everyone else. As for economy based around benefits ,what about pre Welfare State Britain economy then how did that survive then?

As a pensioner of quite a few years now, I find it very strange that pensioners can't afford to heat their homes nowadays. Even those on the lowest incomes who get guaranteed pension credit have around twice the income of a younger person on benefits. Also, if they live in social housing, they don't have to pay the 'bedroom tax'. Perhaps they aren't claiming their entitlements? When I was a housing worker, the older tenants were usually on the ball with their rent.

Rather than get big bills over the winter months it makes sense to spread payments over the year. I was born pre welfare state, and benefits were seen very much as a last resort. Ordinary working families tended to live together with everyone contributing til children got married, then mum and dad often moved out of the family sized council house into a smaller property, cost saving all round.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

In work benefits subsidize life style choice and part time work, not low hourly rates of pay, some people on minimum wage don't qualify for in work benefits, whilst some people on £20 an hour do qualify for in work benefits.

Its the number of hours you work, the number of kids you have and your hourly rate of pay that determines what you receive, an high hourly rate doesn't mean you won't qualify and a low hourly rate doesn't mean you will qualify.

A benefits scrounger is someone that can work or work more hours but chooses not to and instead of working they claims benefits.

I disagree.

In my previous job I could only do part time hours in that role, due to a long standing medical condition. As I don't have children & I was paid just above the threshold I couldn't claim benefits. However, there will be lots of people who can only manage part time work, and who do claim benefits. They are not scroungers.

To say that benefits subsidise a 'lifestyle choice' is an insult and a slur on a lot of people. What about the lifestyle of those who run large companies, that pay **** wages to those in the lower bands of their companies; but take home very nice salaries themselves?

Edited by Mister M

I disagree.

In my previous job I could only do part time hours in that role, due to a long standing medical condition. As I don't have children & I was paid just above the threshold I couldn't claim benefits. However, there will be lots of people who can only manage part time work, and who do claim benefits. They are not scroungers.

To say that benefits subsidise a 'lifestyle choice' is an insult and a slur on a lot of people. What about the lifestyle of those who run large companies, that pay **** wages to those in the lower bands of their companies; but take home very nice salaries themselves?

You are right. Businesses are scroungers and execs on inflated wages are parasites.

I disagree.

To say that benefits subsidise a 'lifestyle choice' is an insult and a slur on a lot of people. What about the lifestyle of those who run large companies, that pay **** wages to those in the lower bands of their companies; but take home very nice salaries?

If they can only manage part time it means they can't work more hours, and I said

A benefits scrounger is someone that can work or work more hours but chooses not to and instead of working they claims benefits.

Can't work more hours is different to choosing to work for just enough hours to get benefits. So if someone could manage 24 hours but chooses to work only 16 hours to maximize their benefits they are a benefits scrounger.

You are right. Businesses are scroungers and execs on inflated wages are parasites.

I have no problem with small businesses that have just started up experiencing difficulties being given taxpayer assistance, or the self employed being given assistance, like top ups (in fact many self employed people struggle financially).

But those cases are different to multinational businesses which pay staff peanuts & who have to rely on tax payers. That's unacceptable.

I have no problem with small businesses that have just started up experiencing difficulties being given taxpayer assistance, or the self employed being given assistance, like top ups (in fact many self employed people struggle financially).

But those cases are different to multinational businesses which pay staff peanuts & who have to rely on tax payers. That's unacceptable.

I agree. I dont think all big business has to behave unethically

There are many ways they can make profit without crushing the little guy.

If they can only manage part time it means they can't work more hours, and I said

Can't work more hours is different to choosing to work for just enough hours to get benefits. So if someone could manage 24 hours but chooses to work only 16 hours to maximize their benefits they are a benefits scrounger.

Well I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the benefits system. But I will say that often the label of 'scrounger' is thrown about too easily and freely these days without knowing an individual's circumstances. Many people who have to receive assistance from the state do not lead the life of riley, as making a 'lifestyle choice' would seem to imply, but need that assistance for essentials.

We already know that for every £1 fraudulently claimed in benefits & tax credits, £16 worth of tax credits & benefits goes unclaimed. Those who have researched this area claim that stigma and shame play a large part in this.

And lets not forget that only this week the DWP were FORCED to reveal that between 2011 and 2014, 2,380 sick and vulnerable people died within 2 weeks of being kicked off their benefits. Maybe some humility from those who like to advocate a harsher regime of benefits wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by Mister M

As a pensioner of quite a few years now, I find it very strange that pensioners can't afford to heat their homes nowadays. Even those on the lowest incomes who get guaranteed pension credit have around twice the income of a younger person on benefits. Also, if they live in social housing, they don't have to pay the 'bedroom tax'. Perhaps they aren't claiming their entitlements? When I was a housing worker, the older tenants were usually on the ball with their rent.

Rather than get big bills over the winter months it makes sense to spread payments over the year. I was born pre welfare state, and fbenefits were seen very much as a last resort. Ordinary working families tended to live together with everyone contributing til children got married, then mum and dad often moved out of the family sized council house into a smaller property, cost saving all round.

I think one problem is pensioners don't realise what they are entitled too, another if they are paying for care of a loved one which I know from personal experience is a big drain on anyone's income. The monthly bill takes most of their money leaving none for heating and other bills.

Well I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the benefits system. But I will say that often the label of 'scrounger' is thrown about too easily and freely these days without knowing an individual's circumstances. Many people who have to receive assistance from the state do not lead the life of riley, as making a 'lifestyle choice' would seem to imply, but need that assistance for essentials.

We already know that for every £1 fraudulently claimed in benefits & tax credits, £16 worth of tax credits & benefits goes unclaimed. Those who have researched this area claim that stigma and shame play a large part in this.

I thought we were just offering our own opinions on what constitutes a benefits scrounger, not what other people think.

How can anyone know how much is defrauded from the benefits system?

You can know how many people have been caught but you can't know anything about the people that get away with it.

How can anyone know how much goes unclaimed, to know you would need to know the personal circumstances of everyone and the government doesn't have that information, if they did there would be no need to fill out forms to claim benefits and no fraud.