Half way between Sheffield & Newquay for Overnight stay?

You can take 2 dogs into days inn at gordano,i have done it myself,just tell them when you book that you have dogs.

If you do not want shopping cribbs causeway is the wrong place for you,it is a retail park nearly as big as meadowhall

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 21:26 ----------

Chazndave i'm sure you would get something to eat at gordano,also there is a very good pub only 2 mins drive away which serves food.

Thank you. I have just phoned them. It's £10 extra for 2 dogs. Which is fine. Not sure where there is to eat there though because it is a service station and they shut for food at 10pm and the days inn doesn't have a restaurant.

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 21:12 ----------

I think I will give that a miss. Thanks for checking though.

You'd be near Portishead at Gordano services and the harbour there is lovely to walk around in the evening. I can massively recommend the Italian on the harbour side as well, Bottelinos it's called.

Don't be a wimp, it's a 5 or 6 hour drive. One, maybe 2 stop offs for a stretch and bite to eat.
I agree. Good roads all the way to Penzance and beyond. Not like the good old days when you had to thread your way through every town on the way. I beat it by living in Cornwall.

We have 2 dogs so place has to allow dogs.

The Ship Inn, Porlock, on Exmoor is about just over half way. Thatched pub on the A39. Very dog friendly and they are allowed throughout the pub including accommodation, two nights for two people, bed and breakfast, £85. Cheaper than a Travelodge. Prices correct at 04/09/15.

http://www.shipinnporlock.co.uk

As for a previous poster that reckons its a 6 hr drive ... you'd never have to drop below 55mph for the entire journey, it is 335 miles ... in reality the journey is 8-9 hrs from Sheffield if you have a good run.

Don't be a wimp, it's a 5 or 6 hour drive. One, maybe 2 stop offs for a stretch and bite to eat.

Yes it is if there are no breakdowns, accidents, incidents, lane closures, road closures, bad weather, scummy ignorant drivers etc etc. In years of driving down and back i think i have only once managed it in around 6 hours. I love Cornwall but HATE the drive down (and back).

The car that you make the journey makes a big difference.

My family being from that neck of the woods, it's a journey that I make regularly. I remember that we used to do it my wife's oldish 1 litre Suzuki Swift. To make sure that we didn't ruin the car we used to stick to 70mph and stop every 100 miles for a hour or so.

Now we've got decent car with climate control and a fair sized engine we find that on the way back we only stop at one of the Marks and Spencer service stations to buy some food for when we get back.

Edited by JFKvsNixon
Oops!