Half way between Sheffield & Newquay for Overnight stay?

The Ship Inn, Porlock, on Exmoor is about just over half way. Thatched pub on the A39. Very dog friendly and they are allowed throughout the pub including accommodation, two nights for two people, bed and breakfast, £85. Cheaper than a Travelodge. Prices correct at 04/09/15.

http://www.shipinnporlock.co.uk

As for a previous poster that reckons its a 6 hr drive ... you'd never have to drop below 55mph for the entire journey, it is 335 miles ... in reality the journey is 8-9 hrs from Sheffield if you have a good run.

Exactly, my friend does it a lot and says it's normally about 8+ hours. My husband had never driven that long before as only passed his test a couple of years ago and would like an over night stay to break it up. It extends our holiday and it will be nice. People calling him a wimp are just being ridiculous.

You just do your own thing chazndave and enjoy your holiday and don't take any notice of the people calling you names.

I first drove to newquay in 1965 when it took 12 hours,not many dual carriageways in those days,the best time i have done it in now is 5-1/2 hours driving time with a 1 hour break total time 6-1/2 hours.

As above.

Want to stay overnight rather than do the full drive.

AA Route planner says M1, M42 Then M5. So where would be best to stop of half way?

I'm guessing bristol is a good half way point but I want to stay pretty much near the route.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had to go to Scotland last week and used premier inns for the first time and it was first class,try finding one near the route

---------- Post added 05-09-2015 at 20:57 ----------

Exactly, my friend does it a lot and says it's normally about 8+ hours. My husband had never driven that long before as only passed his test a couple of years ago and would like an over night stay to break it up. It extends our holiday and it will be nice. People calling him a wimp are just being ridiculous.

take no notice, 2 x 4hrs with breaks makes a long journey no big deal premier inn are great value for money.

You just do your own thing chazndave and enjoy your holiday and don't take any notice of the people calling you names.

I first drove to newquay in 1965 when it took 12 hours,not many dual carriageways in those days,the best time i have done it in now is 5-1/2 hours driving time with a 1 hour break total time 6-1/2 hours.

5.5 hrs, I find that hard to believe, the train can't get there in that time!!! ...that is maintaining 61 mph over 335 miles, a lot of the M1 and M5 these days has a 50mph speed limit and traffic management on the M42 around the NEC and Gloucester services, not accounting for tailbacks on the motorways. The M5 is busiest motorway in the UK. To average 61mph you'd have to be doing in excess of 100mph in places to compensate when you are stood nose to tail around Bristol. I live in Somerset and it takes me 5hrs to get back to Sheffield and I do it regularly.

I left newquay at 07-00am on a saturday morning and arrived in north anston at 13-30.i also used to live in somerset.I was driving at about 75 mph and as it is dual carriageway and motorway all the way,with 1 small exception on the A30 it is easy to do it in that time.I realise that not everone is comfortable driving long journeys at high speeds,but i was driving for a living for 50 years and covered more than 2-1/2 million miles.

I left newquay at 07-00am on a saturday morning and arrived in north anston at 13-30.i also used to live in somerset.I was driving at about 75 mph and as it is dual carriageway and motorway all the way,with 1 small exception on the A30 it is easy to do it in that time.I realise that not everone is comfortable driving long journeys at high speeds,but i was driving for a living for 50 years and covered more than 2-1/2 million miles.

Not sure if it's the long journeys at high speeds that's the problem. Personally I prefer to have a toilet break and stretch my legs.

The Ship Inn, Porlock, on Exmoor is about just over half way. Thatched pub on the A39. Very dog friendly and they are allowed throughout the pub including accommodation, two nights for two people, bed and breakfast, £85. Cheaper than a Travelodge. Prices correct at 04/09/15.

http://www.shipinnporlock.co.uk

As for a previous poster that reckons its a 6 hr drive ... you'd never have to drop below 55mph for the entire journey, it is 335 miles ... in reality the journey is 8-9 hrs from Sheffield if you have a good run.

HI, Thank you for your post. This sounded fab. However looked into it and phoned them and it's about 1 hour from the motorway as it's just 1 road in. That's too far out. Such a shame!!!!