Which Demolished Sheffield Building Would You Rebuild?

I can a name few like the other Burton building down Attercliffe but none had the striking appearance of Burton building on Angel Street.

Both buildings never got the name changed to just Burton, they both went out of existence as H. Montague Burton, which as we all know spawned the phrase, The Full Monty. Suit ,shirt, tie, socks and shoes for one low price..LOL

Edited by TORONTONY

Both buildings never got the name changed to just Burton, they both went out of existence as H. Montague Burton, which as we all know spawned the phrase, The Full Monty. Suit ,shirt, tie, socks and shoes for one low price..LOL

Would interesting to know how much a H. Montague Burton suit cost when it first opened?

What other 'Art Deco' buildings are there in Sheffield?

The former John Banner's store on Attercliffe Road and the building on the corner of Attercliffe and Staniforth Road are other examples of Art Deco architecture, similar to the blitzed Burton's shop.

Many Sheffield cinemas were also built in that period. Remember the Regent,

re-named the Gaumont, in Barker's Pool?

echo

The former John Banner's store on Attercliffe Road and the building on the corner of Attercliffe and Staniforth Road are other examples of Art Deco architecture, similar to the blitzed Burton's shop.

Many Sheffield cinemas were also built in that period. Remember the Regent,

re-named the Gaumont, in Barker's Pool?

echo

Thank you, and two other cinemas come to mind. The Paragon ( Sicey Avenue) and Essoldo/Forum, Southey Green ( not sure about the 'Lane Top' one)

Barclays Bank at the top of Commercial St. I went for a job interview 48 years ago and never received a reply. I'd like to call in to see if they have decided yet.

Sorry but it is The Yorkshire Bank , and it is still there the last,or first building at the top of Commercial Street/ Haymarket corner, the Kings Arms Hotel was on the opposite corner, Commercial Street/Fitzalan Square,. As far as I know it has always been that bank, except they used to call it The Yorkshire Penny Bank, when I was a kid.

Sorry but it is The Yorkshire Bank , and it is still there the last,or first building at the top of Commercial Street/ Haymarket corner, the Kings Arms Hotel was on the opposite corner, Commercial Street/Fitzalan Square,. As far as I know it has always been that bank, except they used to call it The Yorkshire Penny Bank, when I was a kid.

HI,

Sorry, but TORONTONY was correct (We Canadians have to stick together).

The Bank he/we are talking about was on the opposite corner of Commercial Street and Fitzalan Square to The Yorkshire Penny Bank.

In most of our recollections, it was a Barclay's Bank but formerly, it was a branch of the Birmingham and District (Saving?) Bank. It was demolished so they could widen Commercial Street when the Super Tram came along.

Incidentally, does anybody remember when the Super tram's city terminus was at the top of Commercial (say 1993-94): Before it was extend up through "Town", West Street, Netherthorpe and "beyond".

Regards

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 01:19 ----------

Stanley House on Stanley Street off the Wicker.

Hi,

I grew up on Stanley Street (1937-1960) and you reference to Art Deco in the Wicker!!!, of all places almost blew my mind (what's left of it).

The name: Stanley House doesn't means anything to me but the only building that could possibly fit your description was on the right hand side as you came "in" from the Wicker itself. In my day, it belong to a wholesale company (possibly check-trading as well) called Caplan.

As for architectural styles in the Wicker/Stanley Street area, the principle style back then was most likely "Random Rubble".

Regards

Edited by Falls
Minor re-wording