Which Demolished Sheffield Building Would You Rebuild?

The Old Bank on the top of Commercial Street,a wonderful piece of Victorian Architecture.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 14:00 ----------

And my old house 132 Cemetery Road,demolished in 1968 it was a lovely bay windowed victorian house with lovely old fireplaces

The old Corn Exchange. A stunning great building sadly lost in a fire. I think it was on Exchange Street.

Yes, it had a frontage onto four streets in all; Exchange St - Wharf Street - Broad Street and Corn Exchange. See hillsbro's post #88 for a picture of the Corn Exchange frontage.

As the war was coming to a close someone made a model of a plan for a new city centre. It was masterful and compared well with how Plymouth was rebuilt. But it never came to fruition. They made a big hole in the middle of High Street, and a holy mess out of the Moor.

As the war was coming to a close someone made a model of a plan for a new city centre. It was masterful and compared well with how Plymouth was rebuilt. But it never came to fruition. They made a big hole in the middle of High Street, and a holy mess out of the Moor.

Hi,

I often wondered what happened to that model. I always assumed it became something of an embarrassment to the Town Hall crowd and was quietly disposed of.

Regards

Hi,

I often wondered what happened to that model. I always assumed it became something of an embarrassment to the Town Hall crowd and was quietly disposed of.

Regards

Still we don't have to worry about that any more. You got Ontario, I got Montreal, a fair swap in my opinion. Left a long time ago, but still a Habs fan. Cheers

Still we don't have to worry about that any more. You got Ontario, I got Montreal, a fair swap in my opinion. Left a long time ago, but still a Habs fan. Cheers

Hi,

We also lived in Montreal in the mid 1960's for a couple of years and much preferred it to Toronto. Far more character.

On the other hand, we never got used to the bitter cold and the 80-90 inches of snow each winter back then. Somebody once said the sad thing about Montreal is the Skiing is bad in June, July and August.

Regards

Edited by Falls
Spelling error

I've a feeling it was used as a Register Office when my parents married in 1946, no wonder it burned down!

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Duffems,

Here's a link to a 'The Star' 1947 press report on the Corn Exchange fire, which may interest you:-

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/LinkedArticles/NewsSection07/1947CornExchange.html

Peter.

Edited by PeterR