Will the new 'living' wage be discriminatory to Over 25's?

It occurs to me, that the new 'living' wage, which will only be applicable (in the short term) to over 25's will end up being discriminatory to those over 25.

So if you're over 25 and apply for a job, the likelihood is that you won't get the job and it will be given in favour of someone under 25, simply because they'll have to pay them a lot less. Or at least that's how I see it.

Why? Because I've had experience of it. Many moons ago, I took and extra job, delivering pizza's for the well known franchise. It was a stop gap thing to earn some extra cash. However, after a while, I was sacked. Why? Because they employed a young person in my place, because it cost them less.

It occurs to me, that the new 'living' wage, which will only be applicable (in the short term) to over 25's will end up being discriminatory to those over 25.

So if you're over 25 and apply for a job, the likelihood is that you won't get the job and it will be given in favour of someone under 25, simply because they'll have to pay them a lot less. Or at least that's how I see it.

Why? Because I've had experience of it. Many moons ago, I took and extra job, delivering pizza's for the well known franchise. It was a stop gap thing to earn some extra cash. However, after a while, I was sacked. Why? Because they employed a young person in my place, because it cost them less.

You're not obliged to disclose your age at the point of application or interview though, which should make it impossible for them to discriminate by age (which would actually be illegal, although might be difficult to prove).

You're not obliged to disclose your age at the point of application or interview though, which should make it impossible for them to discriminate by age (which would actually be illegal, although might be difficult to prove).

Well if I went for a job with an employer who did discriminate based on age, I think it would be a bit obvious I was over 25. Although Thanks for the compliment! ;)

I know someone who works for a well known freezer packaged food shop who tells me its only the younger ones who get overtime because of the age thing. they also tell me the same older people all work part time so their wages can be topped up with tax credits. another case of employers paying wages topped up by benefits.

I know someone who works for a well known freezer packaged food shop who tells me its only the younger ones who get overtime because of the age thing. they also tell me the same older people all work part time so their wages can be topped up with tax credits. another case of employers paying wages topped up by benefits.

Which I reckon will only get worse...Of course the plan being (one would assume), to remove the benefits people get anyway.

They might actually be doing that now, I don't know, not being 'in the system'.

That sounds like an employer that is caring and helpful, the older employees have an easier life and the youngsters get the hours they need to live. :)

Your work history may be a bit of a giveaway...