Alleged Exploitation at Las Iguanas

The article also says that waiters earn £60 a night in tips on top of their wages. That doesn't sound too bad for a low skill job.

It seems that Las Iguanas have tried to put in a system that's fair to backroom staff but unexpectedly catches out a server under certain circumstances.

The article and the petition are a bit confused but it seems that the company uses a percentage of sales to make sure that the kitchen and cleaning staff get something as well as the staff who serve customers.

Many restaurants pool all tips from all servers and share is out between all the staff. Las Iguanas let the servers keep their tips less a percentage of sales. Sometimes a crap night or a crap server won't do very well in tips so they lose out.

It looks like their system needs tweaking instead of trashing. Then they will avoid the melodramatic Guardian headlines.

I'm gutted by this...went there the other week and it was lovely, but now added to a boycott list. I've coped with Toffee Crisps for years, I can cope without this.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 11:35 ----------

The article also says that waiters earn £60 a night in tips on top of their wages. That doesn't sound too bad for a low skill job.

It seems that Las Iguanas have tried to put in a system that's fair to backroom staff but unexpectedly catches out a server under certain circumstances.

The article and the petition are a bit confused but it seems that the company uses a percentage of sales to make sure that the kitchen and cleaning staff get something as well as the staff who serve customers.

Many restaurants pool all tips from all servers and share is out between all the staff. Las Iguanas let the servers keep their tips less a percentage of sales. Sometimes a crap night or a crap server won't do very well in tips so they lose out.

It looks like their system needs tweaking instead of trashing. Then they will avoid the melodramatic Guardian headlines.

No, that isn't what it says at all. Front of house staff have to pay a percentage of tips UPFRONT of expected tip takings per shift. So if they get stuck with a large party who refuse to tip they can lose out considerably. Perhaps the tips could be shared more evenly between front of house and kitchen staff, but this isn't it. This is simply Las Iguanas seeing an opportunity to make more money. There needs to be laws covering tips to protect staff, companies and customers.

I'm gutted by this...went there the other week and it was lovely, but now added to a boycott list. I've coped with Toffee Crisps for years, I can cope without this.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 11:35 ----------

No, that isn't what it says at all. Front of house staff have to pay a percentage of tips UPFRONT of expected tip takings per shift. So if they get stuck with a large party who refuse to tip they can lose out considerably. Perhaps the tips could be shared more evenly between front of house and kitchen staff, but this isn't it. This is simply Las Iguanas seeing an opportunity to make more money. There needs to be laws covering tips to protect staff, companies and customers.

Little confused as to why Toffee Crisps are relevant?

Thats horse crap...las iguanas claim its for 'staff development'. In that case las iguanas should fund through own pockets as a private company. Or staff should be able to opt-out.

Servers should keep all their tips not have to pay back to management.

Thats horse crap...las iguanas claim its for 'staff development'. In that case las iguanas should fund through own pockets as a private company. Or staff should be able to opt-out.

Servers should keep all their tips not have to pay back to management.

I think that it's fair that the servers share their tips with the rest of the people who helped serve the customer, like the team that prepared the food.

I think that it's fair that the servers share their tips with the rest of the people who helped serve the customer, like the team that prepared the food.

I totally agree.

It doesn't say that. It doesn't sound like a great system but it's not what you've described. The Guardian article has a bit more detail but you still need to read between the lines to try to work out what is really going on.

If a waiter sells £1,000 of food and drinks in an evening, they have to pay £30 back to the restaurant in cash at the end of the night. At Las Iguanas’s London restaurants, the payback would total £55. The money is meant to be paid by waiters from their pot of tips but, because it bears no relation to how much a waiter actually takes in tips, it can wipe out his or her entire income
from gratuities
in a busy night.

I don't get the impression that Las Iguanas are deliberately trying to rip off their staff. They could try harder to have a scheme that works better though.

Its not all going to that purpose.

you think its fair a server has to pay the company 50% of their earned tips?

As is the case when they take 1500 and make 130 in tips.

The company should pay for staff development, which comes from revenue.

Las iguanas arent the only company involved in shady practices, some embezzle debit card paid tips.

Strada and pizza express are culprits too.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 13:09 ----------

How do the back room staff get any of these tips? After all if the kitchen isn't working properly then there's no food for the servers to serve..

Then have a policy where all tips are shared equally amongst all staff.