Alleged Exploitation at Las Iguanas

I totally agree.

It doesn't say that. It doesn't sound like a great system but it's not what you've described. The Guardian article has a bit more detail but you still need to read between the lines to try to work out what is really going on.

If a waiter sells £1,000 of food and drinks in an evening, they have to pay £30 back to the restaurant in cash at the end of the night. At Las Iguanas’s London restaurants, the payback would total £55. The money is meant to be paid by waiters from their pot of tips but, because it bears no relation to how much a waiter actually takes in tips, it can wipe out his or her entire income
from gratuities
in a busy night.

I don't get the impression that Las Iguanas are deliberately trying to rip off their staff. They could try harder to have a scheme that works better though.

Hmm, possibly. I'm willing to back down a teeny bit from my moral outrage :hihi:

Hmm, possibly. I'm willing to back down a teeny bit from my moral outrage :hihi:

The question is why the staff have to pay back any money at all.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 13:15 ----------

75k people have signed the petition.

god knows what this has done to las iguanas takings and reputation!

You have no idea what staff development is. For all you know it could be trips to Alton Towers organised by the staff themselves and paid for out of the central pot.

Its public knowledge. Its on the website.

Im sure if staff want to go to alton towers they can organise!

Regardless 75k people and countless more to come have signed the petition.

If I was las iguanas PR / HR people Id change the policy sharpish.

Its not all going to that purpose.

you think its fair a server has to pay the company 50% of their earned tips?

As is the case when they take 1500 and make 130 in tips.

The company should pay for staff development, which comes from revenue.

Las iguanas arent the only company involved in shady practices, some embezzle debit card paid tips.

Strada and pizza express are culprits too.

I'm not supporting the company's stance at all, and I never gave any suggestion that I was. I was responding to your post where you said - Servers should keep all their tips not have to pay back to management.

I think that servers shouldn't keep all their tips, they should share it with the team that helped them to serve their customers. That is my point nothing more.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

I'm not supporting the company's stance at all, and I never gave any suggestion that I was. I was responding to your post where you said - Servers should keep all their tips not have to pay back to management.

I think that servers shouldn't keep all their tips, they should share it with the team that helped them to serve their customers. That is my point nothing more.

Fine. Some companies have a tip sharing policy i believe.

I know thyme cafe at broomhill do. Probably loads more.

True but to give it to management thats another story. Yes they should share it with kitchen staff and cleaners who are not necessarily customer facing but work hard to get the food out. Managers though presumably are paid more and really should expect not to get a tip.

True but to give it to management thats another story. Yes they should share it with kitchen staff and cleaners who are not necessarily customer facing but work hard to get the food out. Managers though presumably are paid more and really should expect not to get a tip.

I agree, maybe if the management took a small percentage of the tips and used to to fund social events for all the staff, I could understand it. To automatically take an amount of money off the servers that doesn't take into account how much money that they have actually taken in tips in wrong.

True to an extent. But thats a staff wide agreed policy, not a top down management directive.

What I will say in Las iguanas defence is the tipping policy is widely publicised. Its not right, but its there...

Also this guardian quote where a former staff member said his manager took 20 quid off him anyway, when he didnt make any tips...could be a fabrication. We dont know.