Jamie Oliver: 'sugar tax'

Well, I suppose you're free to have a different opinion... But on what are you basing it, given that you said you don't understand economics and it's not a controversial opinion that a large gap damages growth...

My interpretation at least of the OECD report is that education spending fuels growth and income inequality is correlated with poor education access.

It doesn't have to be.

The children don't stand a chance when you can't educate the adults either. My granddad has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he more or less refuses to accept that he has it. His diet is shocking, he drinks everyday (not necessarily to excess, but enjoys a couple of cans and a whisky of an afternoon) and barely acknowledges that many of his health issues are down to the diabetes destroying his immune system.

He's seen my step-father lose a limb and die because of it, and the geezer across the road is going the same way... yet it's all a joke to him.

I watched an interesting documentary last year about 50 diets from around the world - 50th=the worst and 1=the best. We were in the middle around 25th because, although we have access to fruit and veg, all your round, and clean running water etc. we were so low down due to the lack of fresh food in the collective diet. Often it isn't cheaper to eat processed food, it's just easier and the parents of obese children just cannot be bothered to cook properly because it takes longer than dinging something in the microwave, or filling the oven with trays of oven chips.

Education is the biggest thing we can do to help - but even then, it's the parents that need to change their attitude, not just the kids.

The children don't stand a chance when you can't educate the adults either. My granddad has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he more or less refuses to accept that he has it. His diet is shocking, he drinks everyday (not necessarily to excess, but enjoys a couple of cans and a whisky of an afternoon) and barely acknowledges that many of his health issues are down to the diabetes destroying his immune system.

He's seen my step-father lose a limb and die because of it, and the geezer across the road is going the same way... yet it's all a joke to him.

I watched an interesting documentary last year about 50 diets from around the world - 50th=the worst and 1=the best. We were in the middle around 25th because, although we have access to fruit and veg, all your round, and clean running water etc. we were so low down due to the lack of fresh food in the collective diet. Often it isn't cheaper to eat processed food, it's just easier and the parents of obese children just cannot be bothered to cook properly because it takes longer than dinging something in the microwave, or filling the oven with trays of oven chips.

Education is the biggest thing we can do to help - but even then, it's the parents that need to change their attitude, not just the kids.

It's funny but I once worked alongside a bloke from Zimbabwe and although he liked the standard of living, he went back because he said the food here was so awful. He particularly remarked about chicken. He just could not eat it here.