Jamie Oliver: 'sugar tax'

I can't understand all the fuss about this, just let people eat what they want.

Various governments have said there'll be a pension crisis, this'll partly solve it.

My missus talked me into going to Skegness market recently, God! I'm still having sleepless nights, saw one family with four kids average weight about

15 stone, including the kids, all had a burger and fag in one hand and lager and smart phone in the other, actually I'm kidding the youngest had a hot dog, I'm just over 13 stone and felt anorexic. But my point is they knew they were overweight and what they were eating so what's it got to do with Jamie Oliver.

Cyclone. To me it's all like the government propaganda about smoking. If someone smokes 20 fags a day and half of what they pay goes in tax they'll pay about £50 K in tax over 30 years, we're also told they'll die 10 years early another £100 K saved in pension, my dad was a heavy smoker which he enjoyed died well before pensionable age and never cost the NHS anything.

I bought four cans of Caribbean drinks in Morrisons, thinking they were all Old Jamaica diet ginger beer which I like a lot. Turned out I picked one up called Ting. I drank it, liked it, got a sugar rush, read the label and had consumed 40 grams of sugar in under 10 seconds.

No such thing as a sugar rush. ;)

Bring back rationing. British people were never as healthy as they were during WWII.

VD certainly wasn't rationed in WW2. Plenty of that getting dosed about.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 18:37 ----------

Same here. Where are all these obese kids I keep hearing about?

Too fat to get oot the hoose.

The state has to pay for the health requirements of the stupid people though...

"Items are standard-rated, including alcoholic drinks, confectionery, crisps and savoury snacks, hot food, sports drinks, hot takeaways, ice cream, soft drinks and mineral water."

Not sure why mineral water is in that list, the whole thing needs a review.

All smacks to me of another state funded Jamie Oliver publicity campaign. Just in time for his new accompanying television show.

First it was school meals then it was fat and now its sugar.

Saint Jamie needs to watch his step, he has already faced trouble from his hypocrisy ways.

Having a pop at the poor people with their fatty, processed packet meals whilst selling a huge range of overpriced processed packet meals.

Having a pop at fast food whilst profiteering from his "luxury" burger and hot dog joint in central London.

Having a pop at the hard working British public by branding them lazy and claiming that his restaurant empire would be forced to close if he had to rely only on Britons.

Now we are onto Sugar tax. Funny how he was not so vocal when he was taking a fat cheque from Sainsburys to promote their fatty, sugary, unhealthy, processed Christmas food.

Tick tock, tick tock Mr Oliver.

I don't doubt that we have a crisis in this country. Sugar and Diabeties is part of that, but its the Government's job to EDUCATE and INFORM not just raise taxes. Why should the rest of the population with self control and the brains to make informed decisions have to foot the bill for others greed and stupidity.

It can also be done just as well without the media circus intrusion of Jamie and his like.

The food industry has hit back at Jamie Oliver’s latest campaign to impose a “sugar tax” on soft drinks to combat the obesity crisis; no doubt they are paying a lobbying company who is in the pocket of an MP.

Jamie’s Sugar Rush, Channel 4, Thurs Sep 3, 9pm

But at least people are talking about the subject, obesity, how easy would it be to tax high added sugar foods more?

Foods such as Jaffa cakes and biscuits are taxed differently, why not sugar?

Maybe all processed foods should be taxed more?

I think he should butt out. I enjoy sugary food and drink as part of a balanced diet. My BMI is safely 'normal'. If people can't control themselves, that's their own problem.