Jamie Oliver: 'sugar tax'

I'm not convinced. I don't think that's the model in most western countries.

Which western countries were you thinking of? The US is the one most commonly used, look up how effective, efficient and humane the health service is there. The NHS is still one of the best in the world, despite the conservatives underfunding it and bad mouthing it.

Which western countries were you thinking of? The US is the one most commonly used, look up how effective, efficient and humane the health service is there. The NHS is still one of the best in the world, despite the conservatives underfunding it and bad mouthing it.

The NHS has been consistently given funding increases above all measures of inflation since 2010. What would constitute not underfunding it?

Most of western Europe is on a hybrid state/private healthcare system. Most get insurance through their employer. I don't think diabetes through bad diet is excluded from cover, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Its only everyones problem if you chose to tackle obesity on the NHS. If you refuse treatment and tell them if they want to eat unhealthily they can go private for treatment it wouldnt be.

I have no problem with people chosing to live as healthy or unhealthy as they like. I dont believe in taxing them and everyone else suffering but nor should they get treatment paid for by the taxpayer if they want to eat unhealthily.

From a libertarian standpoint im inclined to agree with that position

It bugs and irks, people who are in and out of hospital out of own disregard for health. While others look after theirs...

The final straw is stomach stapled on the NHS...because

they cant control eating habits.

Theres people without enough to eat in the world.

From a libertarian standpoint im inclined to agree with that position

It bugs and irks, people who are in and out of hospital out of own disregard for health. While others look after theirs...

The final straw is stomach stapled on the NHS...because

they cant control eating habits.

Theres people without enough to eat in the world.

Quite so.

How about making treatment conditional on lifestyle changes. Early diabetes for example can be reversed or at least mitigated by such changes.

Quite so.

How about making treatment conditional on lifestyle changes. Early diabetes for example can be reversed or at least mitigated by such changes.

Or...they have to take out a massive great loan to pay for treatment. 50k of debt will make anyone think twice about scoffing that triple decker burger.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:59 ----------

I'm not unsympethetic to patients with certain conditions that cause weight gain I have to say.

But if its just pure gluttony, which is frequently the case, why should the general public fund a lifestyle choice?

The NHS has been consistently given funding increases above all measures of inflation since 2010. What would constitute not underfunding it?

Most of western Europe is on a hybrid state/private healthcare system. Most get insurance through their employer. I don't think diabetes through bad diet is excluded from cover, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I wasn't claiming that there was an exclusion, but health insurance costs increase when you have ill health. Many people in the US can't afford health insurance and receive limited, basic care only.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 13:05 ----------

Or...they have to take out a massive great loan to pay for treatment. 50k of debt will make anyone think twice about scoffing that triple decker burger.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:59 ----------

I'm not unsympethetic to patients with certain conditions that cause weight gain I have to say.

But if its just pure gluttony, which is frequently the case, why should the general public fund a lifestyle choice?

They shouldn't. The tax on high sugar food should cover it.

Think of it as health insurance that is paid for with every cake or chocolate bar that you buy.

Think of it as health insurance that is paid for with every cake or chocolate bar that you buy.

What about if healthy people wish to enjoy chocolate in moderation?

That is the virtue of the tax idea.

The failing of the idea is that we're being bullied into conformity. We don't have the right to exclude ourselves from funding the NHS and instead paying our own way. As long as that is the case the state has gained the right to nanny us in a way that is rather un-liberal.