Why is Scotland more to the left?

If you're English it can be unfriendly. Out of the tourist season that is.

Glasgow very friendly people. Bit of rivalry between Glaswegians and Edinburghonians (med that up, before SF warriors go on one). Glaswegians say those from Edinburgh are sooo up their own arses.

There's a load of posh Scots living there, went to the festival and didn't find friendly at all. ...

To be fair, I have been to Edinburgh a number of times both for work and as a tourist. I have only had issues once and that was done with a tinge of humour, albeit still overt racism, but done with a smile :)

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 19:34 ----------

Glasgow very friendly people. Bit of rivalry between Glaswegians and Edinburghonians (med that up, before SF warriors go on one). Glaswegians say those from Edinburgh are sooo up their own arses.

Funny enough, my family heralds from Glasgow (grand parents) but I've never visited. I must do that one day.

In the west end...maybe.

Lived in Partick, town head, not too bad.

Glasgow some of the toughest neighbourhoods in Europe. ...am thinking park head, anywhere East end...Govan. ..although I hear it's getting better. Unless your rangers in a Celtic area!

Lowest life expectancy and murder and knife capital of Europe.

Right friendly! :hihi:

Used to be a lot of heavy industry up there, so that might be a reason.

Certainly in my home town one of the major industries, jute manufacturing, ceased before 2000. Like steel and mining round here, nearly every family there had some connection with the mills in Dundee. Their disappearance left a huge void for skilled manual workers to earn a reasonable living. There was also a big Timex factory employing several thousands, but after a prolonged strike it closed down in the 90s. Another source of employment gone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_strike

All my nieces and nephews who still live there are fortunate to be in work, but apart from a couple, they're all in the public sector.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Sturgeon said today that they should welcome refugees. There is the answer :)

Send the trains up there with everyone on board, and see how they do in the next election.

The Labour woman said the same, but she can because they haven't any power to lose. It would probably do them a favour because they can use it against the Torys as a 'broken promise', when the next elections are coming up.

I dont think anyone will disagree with the title of the thread, but why is this the case?

Less affluent?

Wealth is also unevenly spread across the UK. An average household in the South East has almost twice (182.63%) the amount of wealth of an average household in Scotland.

LINK

More dependent on the State?

....welfare spending in Scotland is currently about six per cent higher than the average elsewhere in the United Kingdom

LINK

The Scots always seem to come across as feeling hard done by. That's certainly a trait they share with many of the lefties on here.

In the west end...maybe.

Lived in Partick, town head, not too bad.

Glasgow some of the toughest neighbourhoods in Europe. ...am thinking park head, anywhere East end...Govan. ..although I hear it's getting better. Unless your rangers in a Celtic area!

Lowest life expectancy and murder and knife capital of Europe.

Right friendly! :hihi:

Hence the reason why they're so friendly. Making the most of their short lives.

I dont think anyone will disagree with the title of the thread, but why is this the case?

Do they have a different press? I have family that moved north, and they said it was more family friendly up there.

Is immigration an issue, maybe there is more cheap labour in the South?

Could England could back more to the left?

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 13:44 ----------

The only British city to make it into the top 30 was Edinburgh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/galway-irish-city-voted-the-friendliest-in-the-world-10482484.html

you haven't convinced me that scotland is particularly left wing. they voted in droves for the snp in may. they are nationalists who want power devolved to scotland. neither left nor right. labour has the same number of mps in scotland as the tories.

certainly judging by the polls they won't be voting labour in the scottish parliamentary elections. labour is languishing on 19% to 20% in the polls and likely to get a right good thrashing.

consider this. a lot more scots voted labour when blair was leader than voted labour when the union's stooge miliband was at the helm.

Edited by drummonds

Less affluent?

LINK

More dependent on the State?

LINK

The Scots always seem to come across as feeling hard done by. That's certainly a trait they share with many of the lefties on here.

And you've never noticed many on the political right on here airing grievances in their usual bellicose way? Some even have to re register under new usernames as they are unable express their opinions without being vile & offensive; hence getting themselves banned by the moderators.