The nhs, pedalos , robot vacuum cleaners & zumba classes..

I'm still trying to get my head round these stories, the nhs has bought patients summer houses, vacuum cleaners & pedalo's to help them, I don't understand why, it is always saying budgets are being cut and that patients are being put at risk but spends money on pedalo's for patients (how do the patients even swallow a pedalo ? Or is it injected ? )

Then to follow on from this staff in the nhs now will have zumba classes paid for them to improve their health, can anyone person here tell me how a patient can be justified in denied being the latest treatment of say cancer so that staff can have zumba classes ?

I know I can't justify it !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34122245

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34120675

I'm still trying to get my head round these stories, the nhs has bought patients summer houses, vacuum cleaners & pedalo's to help them, I don't understand why, it is always saying budgets are being cut and that patients are being put at risk but spends money on pedalo's for patients (how do the patients even swallow a pedalo ? Or is it injected ? )

Then to follow on from this staff in the nhs now will have zumba classes paid for them to improve their health, can anyone person here tell me how a patient can be justified in denied being the latest treatment of say cancer so that staff can have zumba classes ?

I know I can't justify it !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34122245

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34120675

Maybe the NHS thinks it can save money/improve patient care by supporting the health of their employees a bit better?

Unless the NHS can work effectively by supporting staff to stay healthy there won't be the resources to provide a service at all.

Look after NHS staff and they will be able to look after patients.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 11:32 ----------

This is one wasteful reason they can't afford to treat some patients.

Why is it wasteful ? How do you know this ?

Edited by Daven

One of my friends is on some sort of NHS consultation committee..the local area had arranged a meeting and decided to book a conference room at the Casa in Chesterfield..my friend pointed out to them that there must be loads of meeting rooms standing empty in the NHS buildings in Chesterfield instead of using the expensive hotel..after a bit of discussion they decided to use a room at Calow hospital..why they couldn't have just done that in the first place puzzles me..is it too easy to waste money?

Unless the NHS can work effectively by supporting staff to stay healthy there won't be the resources to provide a service at all.

Why Can't the staff pay for their own zumba class ?

One of my friends is on some sort of NHS consultation committee..the local area had arranged a meeting and decided to book a conference room at the Casa in Chesterfield..my friend pointed out to them that there must be loads of meeting rooms standing empty in the NHS buildings in Chesterfield instead of using the expensive hotel..after a bit of discussion they decided to use a room at Calow hospital..why they couldn't have just done that in the first place puzzles me..is it too easy to waste money?

The problem is that those who are sitting in their ivory towers and at the dizzy heights of management have absolutely no idea what is happening down on the shop floor and have apparently no desire to find out.

I often walk past a committee room at a local hospital on my way to work to see buffets spread out for folk who spend a lot of time sitting on their bottoms in offices whilst many staff on the wards don't even get a break !

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 11:39 ----------

Why Can't the staff pay for their own zumba class ?

Why not indeed.

Edited by Daven

Its wasteful because staff should be more than capable of keeping themselves healthy, if they aren't then maybe they are in the wrong profession, money should be spent of patient care, not unfit unhealthy NHS staff.

My partner has disc degeneration disease, the NHS recommended pilates which is not available on the NHS, in other words, go away and sort your self out.