The nhs, pedalos , robot vacuum cleaners & zumba classes..

Unless you expect me to know exactly what the people behind the idea was thinking, you're going to have to put up with my suggestions unfortunately.

Obviously, I doubt the nhs manager would be here at this very moment.

Genuine question, but do you think its it's generally acceptable to divert funds away from

Patient care for zumba classes ?

Obviously, I doubt the nhs manager would be here at this very moment.

Genuine question, but do you think its it's generally acceptable to divert funds away from

Patient care for zumba classes ?

If it improves patient care by both saving money and time with the sickness absence levels, yes. It may also improve productivity of the staff who aren't 100% but who decide to go to work and battle through.

Why Can't the staff pay for their own zumba class ?

There have been countless studies showing that staff who are fitter in general are more productive. Many, many private companies, such as the one I work in, provide free gyms in offices, discounted gym membership and actively support health schemes such as cycle to work and walking for fitness. Whilst I agree that paying for zumba classes specifically rather than offering gyms on site (perhaps for patients as well? They must have physio facilities?) does seem strange, I don't have an issue with them looking into these kinds of options.

I'm still trying to get my head round these stories, the nhs has bought patients summer houses, vacuum cleaners & pedalo's to help them, I don't understand why, it is always saying budgets are being cut and that patients are being put at risk but spends money on pedalo's for patients (how do the patients even swallow a pedalo ? Or is it injected ? )

Then to follow on from this staff in the nhs now will have zumba classes paid for them to improve their health, can anyone person here tell me how a patient can be justified in denied being the latest treatment of say cancer so that staff can have zumba classes ?

I know I can't justify it !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34122245

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34120675

If a fitness class for staff reduces absence due to ill health by 10%, then it ultimately saves more than it costs.

See, really easy to justify.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:22 ----------

rather than pay to give someone a chance of living they "think" it might ?

Replace "thinks" with, has calculated if you like. It's not a guess.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:23 ----------

This is one wasteful reason they can't afford to treat some patients.

How do you figure?

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:24 ----------

Its wasteful because staff should be more than capable of keeping themselves healthy, if they aren't then maybe they are in the wrong profession, money should be spent of patient care, not unfit unhealthy NHS staff.

My partner has disc degeneration disease, the NHS recommended pilates which is not available on the NHS, in other words, go away and sort your self out.

It's all well and good for you to say what staff should be capable of. But in the real world if a free class will reduce absence due to ill health, then it's money well spent. What "should" happen according to you doesn't alter what does happen.

Its wasteful because staff should be more than capable of keeping themselves healthy, if they aren't then maybe they are in the wrong profession, money should be spent of patient care, not unfit unhealthy NHS staff.

My partner has disc degeneration disease, the NHS recommended pilates which is not available on the NHS, in other words, go away and sort your self out.

I am sorry to hear that, I couldnt in any way not help your case to give the nhs staff zumba classes.

This to me is quite insulting to patients !

If a fitness class for staff reduces absence due to ill health by 10%, then it ultimately saves more than it costs.

See, really easy to justify.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:22 ----------

Replace "thinks" with, has calculated if you like. It's not a guess.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:23 ----------

How do you figure?

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 12:24 ----------

It's all well and good for you to say what staff should be capable of. But in the real world if a free class will reduce absence due to ill health, then it's money well spent. What "should" happen according to you doesn't alter what does happen.

Why not let the staff go for a walk instead ? Maybe they could not pay them for sick time, both of these are free and provide money available to help people ill with very serious diseases.

I don't credit some people these days.

I have a gym onsite here. Shared amongst all the tenants we all muck in and pay for it and it's free for all to use.

Other places I've been at subsidise membership at commercial gyms

It's nothing new - yet as soon as the NHS try it then people load up on the venom vitriol and get the burning pitchforks out?

People in any organisation are a RESOURCE. That means you want the best out of them - and helping to make them happy healthy and fit is an ideal - and very cheap way of doing that.

I am sorry to hear that, I couldnt in any way not help your case to give the nhs staff zumba classes.

This to me is quite insulting to patients !

Do you really think that patients will be insulted by initiatives to cut down on work absences, save money and increase productivity?