The nhs, pedalos , robot vacuum cleaners & zumba classes..

Will there be any measurement of the success or otherwise of this plan?

Lets be honest, this is probably a political initiative to make to look like that something is being done to cut down the NHS bill for staff sickness, which currently stands at £2.4bn a year. A £5 million initiative across the NHS isn't braking the bank.

You'd make them go for a walk in Fir Vale? How long for?

You want them to exercise off calories? Walking takes a long time - going to give them a longer lunchbreak then?

How long will it take to get changed, drive to zumba hq, do a class, have a shower, get changed and drive back to the hospital ?

I'm still trying to get my head round these stories, the nhs has bought patients summer houses, vacuum cleaners & pedalo's to help them, I don't understand why, it is always saying budgets are being cut and that patients are being put at risk but spends money on pedalo's for patients (how do the patients even swallow a pedalo ? Or is it injected ? )

Then to follow on from this staff in the nhs now will have zumba classes paid for them to improve their health, can anyone person here tell me how a patient can be justified in denied being the latest treatment of say cancer so that staff can have zumba classes ?

I know I can't justify it !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34122245

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34120675

If it saves the NHS money in the longer term, what is the problem?

One of my friends is on some sort of NHS consultation committee..the local area had arranged a meeting and decided to book a conference room at the Casa in Chesterfield..my friend pointed out to them that there must be loads of meeting rooms standing empty in the NHS buildings in Chesterfield instead of using the expensive hotel..after a bit of discussion they decided to use a room at Calow hospital..why they couldn't have just done that in the first place puzzles me..is it too easy to waste money?
its too easy to waste other peoples money ask the government they seem to do it well :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Lets be honest, this is probably a political initiative to make to look like that something is being done to cut down the NHS bill for staff sickness, which currently stands at £2.4bn a year. A £5 million initiative across the NHS isn't braking the bank.

But there are loads of free ways of improving their health , walking, jogging , General exercise techniques that the physio dept could reccomend for free !

Or not pay staff for sick days too, why are they ignoring already proven methods of tackling absenteeism ?

5 million is nothing to the nhs bill,that still doesn't justify people being denied drugs & operations to save lives !

Then their is the symptom and cure argument aswell, surely this should be provided "free" to everyone by General taxation, then the nation would be healthier and the staff wouldn't be stressed with all the work ?

If it saves the NHS money in the longer term, what is the problem?

The "if" part is the problem, if it doesn't then 5 million could save hundreds of lives through using the latest drugs to cure serious diseases !

Not to mention the loads of various ways to do the exercise for free.

And still no answer as to why nhs staff can't pay for this out of their own pockets ?

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 13:00 ----------

What if that money is coming from an NHS budget that is not intended for patient care?

Then the money should be allocated to patient care .

What is the nhs for ?

But there are loads of free ways of improving their health , walking, jogging , General exercise techniques that the physio dept could reccomend for free !

Or not pay staff for sick days too, why are they ignoring already proven methods of tackling absenteeism ?

5 million is nothing to the nhs bill,that still doesn't justify people being denied drugs & operations to save lives !

Then their is the symptom and cure argument aswell, surely this should be provided "free" to everyone by General taxation, then the nation would be healthier and the staff wouldn't be stressed with all the work ?

So are your suggesting that the NHS should stop patients attending the already busy physiotherapy department so the physios can start attending to the staff? Or are you suggesting that the NHS spend a lot of money employing more physios to deal with the NHS staff?

It seems it may be cheeper to me to go down the route of serving healthy food and running Zumba and yoga classes.

As to your idea that the NHS can stop paying sick pay, have you thought this idea through? For example, what if employee A has a really bad cold, coughing and spluttering everywhere. Do you want to put them in a position where they can't afford to ring in sick so they have to come to work and spread their germs to vulnerable patients?

Also do you think that not paying sick pay is an effective way to combat staff burnout?