Why are so many tradesmen so unreliable ? And how do you avoid them ?

Personally I try to start with a small job for someone, and if they do a good job then keep their contact details for the future.

We've also had subbies for other work that have done a good job, and we've kept their cards.

A sound idea, the problem being that many tradesmen (whatever they may say : "no job too small") generally aren`t as bothered with the small jobs*. I reckon that`s part of the reason that landscape gardener messed me around. To him it`s just a small job, and he wasn`t prepared to let being professional get in the way of doing the big jobs first. That`s a short sighted attitude (I shall never use him again for any job, nor shall I hold back on telling anyone who may ask me who is after a landscape gardener) but many tradesmen don`t seem bothered by that.

* That`s why property maintenance is the trade to be in. If you`re any good (not even that good....) and act even half professionally, you`ll make a living at that. Anyone who can`t make a living in property maintenance must be useless.....