Making the poor better off

Should the goal be to reduce relative or absolute poverty?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the goal be to reduce relative or absolute poverty?

• The goal should be to reduce absolute poverty
    • The goal should be to reduce relative poverty
    • I reject your premise as there can be no conflict between the above 2 options
    • I'm not interested in helping the poor

The banks should of been properly regulated years ago. I blame new labour for not intervening and the tories for growing britain on a financial and service sector footing.

Doesnt anyone advise these governments the value of stocks can go up AND down??

The banks were well regulated before the FSA.

The banks should of been properly regulated years ago. I blame new labour for not intervening and the tories for growing britain on a financial and service sector footing.

Doesnt anyone advise these governments the value of stocks can go up AND down??

Not intervening? Pmsl. They set up the regulation that failed.

BTW "should of" doesn't make any sense. Like most of your posts.

The banks were well regulated before the FSA.

The banks have been given free reign. Its unravelled...its a system which is broken I'm afraid.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 14:11 ----------

Not intervening? Pmsl. They set up the regulation that failed.

BTW "should of" doesn't make any sense. Like most of your posts.

Which posts dont make sense?

I'd take Germany as a blueprint. A solid finance centre but they also invest in people and manufacturing. They actually build and export stuff.

Trouble is that the German niche in the market is already occupied. By the Germans. They have a big head start.

New labour also bloated the public sector....disaster.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 14:14 ----------

Trouble is that the German niche in the market is already occupied. By the Germans. They have a big head start.

I don't know if you've noticed the abandoned steel and manufacturing plants around sheffield....

Germany invested. We invested in London.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 14:16 ----------

I'm more in tune with the german social democratic model on most things...plus they have nudist parks. Best of both worlds!

New labour also bloated the public sector....disaster.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 14:14 ----------

I don't know if you've noticed the abandoned steel and manufacturing plants around sheffield....

Germany invested. We invested in London.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 14:16 ----------

I'm more in tune with the german social democratic model on most things...plus they have nudist parks. Best of both worlds!

Any manufacturing resurgence in the UK would be heavily automated and require skilled labour. I suspect that if we generated the skilled labour, then the manufacturing will come.

Any manufacturing resurgence in the UK would be heavily automated and require skilled labour. I suspect that if we generated the skilled labour, then the manufacturing will come.

Stop the computers taking over and create jobs and we're all happy..........except for the Tory fatcats.

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 19:16 ----------

. Somebody cross that the Tories won the election and spitting their dummy out. I think probably Russia would be a good place for you to buzz of to.

Not cross but disappointed that the proletariat think the Tories represent their interests.

Your sort wont be so smug when you've been impacted upon with the Tory cuts - wait and see!!