Economy Range Supermarket Food Vs Brands?

A couple of years ago, when I was really on the ball with trying to lose weight and save money at the same time, I used to spend ages comparing the prices with the health benefits/ingredients. At that time, I found that Tesco's Everyday corned beef actually contained less salt than Prince's reduced salt corned beef!

Also with the gluten free bread - Tesco's own seeded g/f was far tastier and the closest to proper bread than the more expensive Genius brand, and the g/f Hovis or Warburton (can't remember which).

Also, the Aldi oils (rapeseed/olive/extra virgin olive), olives, hummus etc. are all far cheaper than most brands and there's no real difference in quality. If there was an Aldi or Lidl in Woodhouse, I'd shop there all the time. My problem is that I don't drive, so for ease I have to use Co-op quite often, and their prices go through me. As such, I scrounge the 'sad-shelves' for a bargain.

I've never tried it, but my Mum says that Aldi's bread is lovely & much cheaper than the branded stuff.

Sainsbury's own jars of curry sauce is just as good as Pataks. As are their cream cheeses, pastas, and beans.

I do prefer branded stuff like soap, laundry powder, deodorant and after shave balm. Though Sainsbury's fabric conditioner is just as good as Lenor/Comfort.

Me too. I buy quite a few Aldi own brand products, washing up liquid, laundry and cleaning products, wine, spirits and soft drinks are just a few.

Aldi washing up liquid is one of the best I've ever bought. The cleaning products are quite good but not the Kitchen cleaner as it's too soapy. It does clean well though but requires a lot of rinsing and water.

I always expected the supermarkets to open smaller own brand stores to combat the Pound shop revolution.........i think they have enough products to fill a metro style store.

Although, the store would look pretty weird with the repetitive bland packaging.

Edited by AmourDesign

I always expected the supermarkets to open smaller own brand stores to combat the Pound shop revolution.........i think they have enough products to fill a metro style store.

Although, the store would look pretty weird with the repetitive bland packaging.

This is why Sainsbury's started a joint-venture to reintroduce Netto. Aldi and Lidl are untouchable, privately owned so they can't be bought which is the strength of their business. I agree, it is odd that ASDA, Tesco and Morrisons aren't yet diving into that market, although I'd think that margins are tiny and the marketplace is pretty much saturated.