Thinking of going to Japan in November, anyone been?

Cheers Cyclone.

One think I'm not sure of is where to arrive and depart from. Did you fly in and out of Tokyo? I am thinking of landing in a more northery airport and traveling down then coming back from Tokyo. Or a southern airport if the main carriers fly directly to those. There seem to be loads of airports, I've not yet worked out where they all are! Did the main trains run 24 hours? Not a problem flying from Tokyo if I can get a night train back. In fact I could save loads of money and just sleep on the trains between locations!!.

We flew Manchester to Frankfurt then to Tokyo Narita, with Laufthansa.

Not sure about train times, we only travelled during the day. You wouldn't sleep on the Shikansen, or not comfortably, it's a lot like being on a UK train, just a bit faster.

I think Japan is the country we in the UK should model ourselves on. Island nation, no need for immigration, strong work ethic, don't get involved in foreign wars to any great extent, strong belief in the superiority of themselves to other peoples.

They were also fabulous hosts to POW's in the second world war I hear.

Yes. let's model ourselves on their outstanding values.

My grandad was one of those POWs. We should model ourselves on modern Japan, not the Japan of the 1940s.

Modern Japan seems to have a host of social problems.

Not just the negativity to other cultures and it's xenophobia...there is a growing trend of weirdness and repression, I keep hearing things about blokes being more interested in having 'cyber hand-held girlfriends' than actual physical girlfriends.

there's no space and housing is stupidly expensive...the economy is stalling and it's an aging society which comes low down the table of social and gender equality.

I wouldn't want to model ourselves on Japan and wouldn't want to live in such a society.

Modern Japan seems to have a host of social problems.

Not just the negativity to other cultures and it's xenophobia...there is a growing trend of weirdness and repression, I keep hearing things about blokes being more interested in having 'cyber hand-held girlfriends' than actual physical girlfriends.

there's no space and housing is stupidly expensive...the economy is stalling and it's an aging society which comes low down the table of social and gender equality.

I wouldn't want to model ourselves on Japan and wouldn't want to live in such a society.

I agree with you for a change!!

Thinking of going to Japan in November for a couple of weeks. Anyone been? any tips?

Last thread is over years old so please don't merge them, things change!

Taa

:)

prepare your self for a shock, its the cleanest safest most courteous country you'll probably ever go to:hihi:

I think most of your questions would be answered just checking trip advisor and lonely planet, but I found finding cheap accomodation a problem(don't travel there on japanese public holidays:gag:} good Idea to book well in advance.one more thing ,what passes for an hotel room in japan can be quite small:hihi:

/food/ if you'get sick of eating traditional japanese food every day ramen and whatever, try the Izakaya's friendly places ,western type food. the watami chain

do a fantastic salad reasonable prices too.

trains/get your food at the station better choice than on the train and usually very good ,in fact you can get quite a good selection of eating places at all large stations.

toilets /you'll want to bring one back home with you:hihi:

money/what have you got in mind for that?

tokyo/for a night out , Golden Gai in shinjuku is different .tiny alley ways , full of tiny bars where you can get a drink and food for a big price:D a lot of them have a theme like just for elvis fans or some famous actor,you might see signs saying no tourists or no foreigners ,...usually means they can't speak english and you're to much trouble,

I did go in a couple of them with a japanese speaking chinese couple and they were very friendly anyway.