Damp in your home

It's a Victorian terrace house, I believe none of the cellars are bone dry. The timber joists & flooring was replaced, cellar walls treated & then a waterproof membrane (can't remember what it was called) was laid on the floor and concrete set on top. There was water rising up into the cellar from the floor until this was done. There were also two large air bricks fitted & I will be opening up the coal chute grate to increase air circulation too.

I think most of the moisture is actually from humidity made worse by poor air circulation. Then possibly ground water affecting the walls towards the back of the cellar. The kitchen units creating a seal on the wall behind them probably isn't helping dispel any moisture either, which can be fixed when the new kitchen goes in.

Would an Envirovent unit be of any use in removing moisture from the cellar?

my bold=

You need ventilation in the cellar to prevent moisture building up, opening the coal chute is the first thing that needs doing...

Would an Envirovent unit be of any use in removing moisture from the cellar?

Not at all. They are an excellent solution for controlling condensation issues in living areas. Cellars are a separate issue. As has been mentioned, ventilation is the key. A small radiator would also help. An air vent in the cellar door is often a good idea, to create a 'through' draught.

Not at all. They are an excellent solution for controlling condensation issues in living areas. Cellars are a separate issue. As has been mentioned, ventilation is the key. A small radiator would also help. An air vent in the cellar door is often a good idea, to create a 'through' draught.

Thank you. I was thinking about putting an air vent into the back wall of the cellar above the stairs/hatch to create a through flow of air. I wasn't sure if it would work. It does seem that there is only a problem on this back wall, sort of around the corner & up the steps.

As for the rest of the house, I leave the upstairs bedroom & bathroom windows permanently on the latch (locked slightly open), an air vent in the lounge wall and have a draughty back door in the kitchen. The "damp" that the person I bought the house from suffered seems to have been solved just by opening the windows & adding an air vent.

The problem in an old house is not helped when things like sealed double glazed windows are fitted, the floors have wall to wall carpets, upvc doors... etc.

I doubt you will actually be able to stop damp in a cellar, just control the effects. Such as a good air circulation already mentioned.

Edit: i think we paid £1500 or so for our envirovent system.