House training 10 month old dog

happymummy24

Please can somebody help my dog is 10 months old and still not house trained she's just squatted and peed in front of me I've had enough now I've got kids one being a baby crawling and my house stinks of pee I've tried everything I've now moved and having new carpets And Lino Thursday which am dreading cus on carpet she uses as a bloody toilet somebody please help I've tried everything and she still isent getting it she can have a couple of days of being perfect but then just starts again there's nothing medically wrong either has anybody ever ha this problem ?

Does she do this when she is with you? Have you any other dogs? Have you cleaned this up with special urine cleaner? How often do you take the dog outside?

We had the opposite problem. Our pup used to come inside to use newspaper we had on standby incase of accidents. We had to praise her and give her treats for weeing outside and remove newspaper from the floor so she didn't see it as her toilet.

As long as the cage isn't too big. All five of our Shepherds love crates but one was a rescue so we didn't have him from a pup.

The last pup had a bigger crate as she is very active, the most crazy working dog we have had. Because of her extreme activity we got a crate big enough for her to run round in. This was an error as she would happily use one side of the crate for a toilet. She used to come back inside and do her business on newspaper in the other half of the crate. :roll::hihi:Thats why I said we had to praise her for weeing outside and give her treats. She took a while to learn to go to the toilet in the garden. :roll:

I agree take out regularly. Any accidents do not clean up with disinfectant because it will smell like another dogs pee and they will wee over the top of it ( use hot water and washing powder )

And start again and crate train ( that does not mean leave it in the crate ) I've had lots of dogs and tried both puppy pads and crate and crate training is the faster way to house train . Plus after it has eaten or drank straight outside for toilet and praise it when they go .

Oh and don't shout and scream when it has an accident that will just make it worse just place them out side and reinforce where they should wee .

Edited by rubydo1

This might be your key problem:

I've got kids one being a baby crawling

Presumably you obtained this puppy when your crawling baby was newborn? The fact that your dog is not house trained at 10 months of age is because you have not been able to put the work in right at the beginning. Looking after young children and one a tiny baby is quite enough work for one woman, never mind adding a puppy into the mix. Was it your husband who bought this dog into the house? Very often it is and then the woman has all the work. If he did obtain the dog then you really ought to look to him for help in this matter instead of taking it all on board yourself.

If your husband/partner cannot help you with this problem and you are up for the challenge, the only thing that you can do is to go right back to the beginning. This means confining the dog and taking it out immediately after every meal and every hour. In the morning you have to get up quickly and quietly and take the dog out before you do anything else. You have to have the dog on a lead and stay with it until it produces. When this happens you must treat and praise. If the dog urinates or defaecates in the house remember that it is not it's fault - it is yours for not preventing it.

Presumably you obtained this puppy when your crawling baby was newborn? The fact that your dog is not house trained at 10 months of age is because you have not been able to put the work in right at the beginning. Looking after young children and one a tiny baby is quite enough work for one woman, never mind adding a puppy into the mix. Was it your husband who bought this dog into the house? Very often it is and then the woman has all the work. If he did obtain the dog then you really ought to look to him for help in this matter instead of taking it all on board yourself.

If your husband/partner cannot help you with this problem and you are up for the challenge, the only thing that you can do is to go right back to the beginning. This means confining the dog and taking it out immediately after every meal and every hour. In the morning you have to get up quickly and quietly and take the dog out before you do anything else. You have to have the dog on a lead and stay with it until it produces. When this happens you must treat and praise. If the dog urinates or defaecates in the house remember that it is not it's fault - it is yours for not preventing it.

All of this.

one thing comes to mind - you said your dog had just squatted and peed infront of you - a lot of dogs do this for attention. it is counter-intuitive but one thing i was told was to completely ignore the dog if they do this. they want your attention so you jumping up and telling them off gives them exactly what they want. so when it happens, if it can be left for a few minutes - make a point of totally ignoring your dog so they know it. turn your back on them or put them in another room whilst you clear it up. don;t even speak to them and don't comment on it. dogs don't know the difference between good and bad attention so if you tell them off then you are giving them what they want - and so they repeat the behaviour. i found this - along with a stupid amount of praise when they do go outside to be the key

i did try crate training but it really distressed my dog so i tried the other ways. i have to say the house training side of things nearly sent me crazy but stick with it and it'll be worth it in the end.

Hi guys she is crate trained however has broken ever single crate she's had.she also can escape out of anything I've even turned handles upside down on a door and she can still open it I think she has anxiety but that dosent explain toileting while I'm there ? I use pet shop stuff to clean it up but I have also tried bi carb and white vinegar aswell I let her out at least every hour and she has 2 walked a dog and she has a ball and thrower to which she is obsessed with and I physically drain her so a dunno what am doing wrong but it must be something all carpets been fitted today and she's peed at frot door twice and pood in my daughters room x

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 20:51 ----------

Hi love I must admit I fear you may be right it was me that got her but I was in a bad place and wasent thinking heavily pregnant but I also had a 10 month old lab at time and sadley I knew we was having her PTs and I got her becouse I was feeling heartbroken even before my lily died but then when lily died I became depressed and then when I had my daughter I Lao got postnatal depression so I wasent in a good place I have to admit but now am fine and my daughter is over one and my doggy is the most gawjus naughty extremely friendly girl ever :) but I need to rectify what a did wrong x

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 20:54 ----------

I've also started now not saying anything to her when she accidents in house becouse I read it can scare them to stop doing it in front of you even outside so hoping that helps xnot that I'd shout at her or raise a hand or owt but I did get stressed and swear and myself and stomp about lol x

This is just a guess because all there is to go on is what you say, but it sounds like your dog is quite anxious. If so, the house training is secondary to that.

It sounds as if you want to rectify the problem and have stopped shouting at her so that is a good start. For now (to protect your carpets) it would be best to keep her confined to the kitchen. Once those new carpets have the scent of urine she could start to mark in the same place.

Think about taking her to the vet to book her in for speying. At the same time, have a chat about the possibility of her having medication to take the edge off her anxiety. It needn't be for long - just enough for you to work with her. However, probably the best thing to do would be to get a good behaviourist in to see the dog. He or she will be able to offer specific advice to help you solve this problem.