Solidarity with refugees march – London 12th September

:hihi:

:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 12:48 ----------

"Neither the 1951 Refugee Convention nor EU law requires a refugee to claim asylum in one country rather than another.

There is no rule requiring refugees to claim in the first safe country in which they arrive.

The EU does run a system – called the Dublin Regulations – which allows one EU country to require another to accept responsibility for an asylum claim where certain conditions apply.

The relevant conditions include that the person is shown to have previously entered that other EU country or made a claim there. This is supposed to share responsibility for asylum claims more equitably among EU countries and discourage people moving on from one EU country to another. But it doesn’t work.

It is clear the system greatly benefits countries like the UK and is very unfair to countries like Greece and Italy. That’s part of the reason Germany has just suspended the Dublin Regulations when dealing with people fleeing from Syria"

Any person who has successfully escaped a war zone and reached a safe country, but then chooses to put themselves and their family at further danger by travelling further and ignoring international boundaries can no longer be defined as a refugee. Their motivation to migrate has changed. They become economic immigrants.

Any person who has successfully escaped a war zone and reached a safe country, but then chooses to put themselves and their family at further danger by travelling further and ignoring international boundaries can no longer be defined as a refugee. Their motivation to migrate has changed. They become economic immigrants.

You've just straightforwardly contradicted Solomon.

Please cite some reference in support of your statement .

Solomon's post is in inverted commas . So ,presumably it can be referenced

Your statement has no inverted commas . So ,the word must be your own.

Your post must be your understanding of the rules governing "Refugee" status.

Can you please give a reference so I can look it up ? Thank you.

You've just straightforwardly contradicted Solomon.

Please cite some reference in support of your statement .

Solomon's post is in inverted commas . So ,presumably it can be referenced

Your statement has no inverted commas . So ,the word must be your own.

Your post must be your understanding of the rules governing "Refugee" status.

Can you please give a reference so I can look it up ? Thank you.

The definition of a refugee is someone fleeing war or hardship.

The definition of an economic migrant is someone moving countries for economic purposes.

If someone has successfully fled Syria, but then chooses to move countries again (and again and again) for economic motives, how would YOU define them?

A refugee isn't a refugee forever - it's not a permanent status. If someone claim asylum (legally) in the UK, and managed to be really successful and became a multi-millionaire and moved to Monaco for tax reasons, would they still be considered a refugee fleeing the UK?

The definition of a refugee is someone fleeing war or hardship.

The definition of an economic migrant is someone moving countries for economic purposes.

If someone has successfully fled Syria, but then chooses to move countries again (and again and again) for economic motives, how would YOU define them?

A refugee isn't a refugee forever - it's not a permanent status. If someone claim asylum (legally) in the UK, and managed to be really successful and became a multi-millionaire and moved to Monaco for tax reasons, would they still be considered a refugee fleeing the UK?

Who says so ? Where do you get your definitions from? (It's important; so that I know you are not just making it up). Reference your source. I'm asking you a question. Don't ask me one in return. On reflection ,I'm wasting my time. You can continue making it up. (No insult intended)

Edited by petemcewan

Who says so ? Where do you get your definitions from? (It's important; so that I know you are not just making it up). Reference your source. I'm asking you a question. Don't ask me one in return. On reflection ,I'm wasting my time. You can continue making it up. (No insult intended)

Refugee:

"A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster"

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/refugee

Economic migrant:

"A person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/economic-migrant?q=economic+migrant

Ergo, when a refugee has successfully fled war (let's say, by reaching Turkey or Greece), any further moves have different motives, i.e. "to improve their standard of living" - they become economic migrants.

Furthermore, after Syria, the 3 biggest exporters of migrants in the current crisis are Albania, Serbia and Kosovo. I'm not aware of any current wars, persecution or natural disasters in those countries at the moment, to warrant the exodus of tens of thousands.

It seems some people will only be happy when several million migrants are let in all at once. Sadly, the end game will go one of two ways, and neither are pleasant.