Best way to travel to Scotland

Not one of your three options (car/fly/coach), granted, but my preference is by rail, in daylight hours, along the east coast.

Sheffield across to Doncaster, then York, Durham, Newcastle, Alnmouth, Berwick, Edinburgh.

Take a seat on the right hand of the carriage going north, on the left travelling south.

Edited by horribleblob
Removed a double Durham (so good, but they did only name it once).

Weather coud be bad in December. Flying may be best option

Because it's always a safe bet to fly in bad weather.

The nearest airports to Sheffield to fly to Edinburgh from are Manchester and East Midlands. Allowing for travel there and check-in time you could be in Edinburgh by train before you got on a plane.

Not one of your three options (car/fly/coach), granted, but my preference is by rail, in daylight hours, along the east coast.

Sheffield across to Doncaster, then York, Durham, Newcastle, Alnmouth, Berwick, Edinburgh.

Take a seat on the right hand of the carriage going north, on the left travelling south.

That would be my choice too, the views are stunning. I did the train journey regularly for years, as well as travelling by car to visit my late mother. We drove up a few weeks ago, my husbands preference, and although the roads have improved immensely over the years, they have also got considerably busier, so I'd always choose the train.