Best way to travel to Scotland

That would be my choice too, the views are stunning. I did the train journey regularly for years, as well as travelling by car to visit my late mother. We drove up a few weeks ago, my husbands preference, and although the roads have improved immensely over the years, they have also got considerably busier, so I'd always choose the train.

I love the journey up there.

Get a cheap first class advance and have a meal while travelling at speed, very nice

the East Coast line Edinburgh - Doncaster is a right whizz. Like a bullet train.

then you have to get on this oik train from Doncaster to Sheffield that stops everywhere and it's Bangladesh.

Or you could catch the non-stop trains to Doncaster or even Edinburgh.

There are also the one stop trains to Doncaster.

If you are really hungry buy two 1st advances with the Stagecoach trains so that you change trains at Newcastle and get two breakfasts/afternoon teas for free.

Free wifi as well.

I'm thinking of a break in Edinburgh in December.

What would be the best way to travel. Take my own car, fly up, or coach trip.

Train for me all the time,Always book with Virgin east coast from Doncaster to Edinburgh or Glasgow,its a lot cheaper than Cross country trains which are direct from Sheffield.Went up to Glasgow last monday £18 advance single outwards £22 advance single for the return.The total cost for the same journey when i checked the prices with Cross country was £68 return.

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 15:28 ----------

Not one of your three options (car/fly/coach), granted, but my preference is by rail, in daylight hours, along the east coast.

Sheffield across to Doncaster, then York, Durham, Newcastle, Alnmouth, Berwick, Edinburgh.

Take a seat on the right hand of the carriage going north, on the left travelling south.

You missed out Morpeth and Dunbar.