Is It Time Schools Dropped School Uniforms?

When policy is agreed by pupils, staff, parents and governors, its likely that it reflects the ethos of the school. We may not all agree with an outcome but if its made democratically, those who feel strongly need to get the majority behind them if they wish to change it. Surely most parents ensure they know what is acceptable at the school they have chosen to send their child to, and what the outcome will be if they flout the policy.

Some really individual parents who want their child to have more individuality make the effort to home school. There used to be a number of home schoolers who posted on here, and I had a friend who taught two of her children at home. I have great admiration for them, its much more than I could have commited to. I'm afraid due to their parents working, my children, and now my grandchildren are having to abide by the rules and regulations of school. And, horror of horrors, it means uniforms and neat hair! ;) Seriously, as a family, we prefer them to be in uniform, it makes getting ready much quicker when there's no choice of clothing involved. :rolleyes:

Schools aren't democracies, kids and parents don't get to vote on who runs them or what rules they impose and more often than not they don't get a choice of school.

Changing public opinion means protesting, voicing your opinion and making a stand against what you think is disproportional punishment for breaking daft rules about what you can and cannot wear.

Seriously, as a family, we prefer them to be in uniform, it makes getting ready much quicker when there's no choice of clothing involved.

So its for your benefit and not their benefit, giving them the responsibility to get up and get ready in time would be a good lesson, they could choose to get up and get ready in 5 minutes or get up earlier and take an hour.

---------- Post added 17-09-2015 at 15:36 ----------

The remedy was to colour over the leopard spots with a natural coloured dye. Wouldnt have taken too long and the girl could have been back in school without too much trouble.

The lesson of the day is bloody read the school rules. Had the rules been read then all this fuss may have been avoided :)

People break rules especially when they are daft rules, if the government introduced a uniform for all citizens, would you wear it or challenge the governments authority by wearing what you wanted to wear?

.....if the government introduced a uniform for all citizens, would you wear it or challenge the governments authority by wearing what you wanted to wear?

Your posts get more and more ridiculous. There have always been school uniforms. There has never been a national uniform for all citizens.

I don't necessarily agree with school uniforms but if the school has rules then tough.

[/color]

People break rules especially when they are daft rules, if the government introduced a uniform for all citizens, would you wear it or challenge the governments authority by wearing what you wanted to wear?

Agreed. If it is not illegal people do yes. A healthy dose of this(regardless of Uniform) always helps somehow find & believ(ed) :hihi:

Your posts get more and more ridiculous. There have always been school uniforms. There has never been a national uniform for all citizens.

I don't necessarily agree with school uniforms but if the school has rules then tough.

What a bizarre response. :loopy:

I'd go one further, if uniforms are so amazingly beneficial, then why aren't we all wearing them?

if the government introduced a uniform for all citizens, would you wear it or … what you wanted to wear?

I suggested it in a roundabout way, Sandy18 asked if you would comply with a national uniform policy if they were mandated for all British citizens.

If the kids are in uniform, the teachers should be too. If uniform does all the things that people claim, then why aren't teachers wearing them too?

I'd go one further, if uniforms are so amazingly beneficial, then why aren't we all wearing them?

Teachers are expected to dress formally. It's the same thing. There aren't many schools that will not send a teacher home to change if they turn up in jeans and a t-shirt.

As for uniforms in general, they at least place the children on a level playing field. They can't be singled out for wearing low-cost clothing or not fitting in with trends which is a genuine issue with teenagers and bullying.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 12:39 ----------

I suggested it in a roundabout way, Sandy18 asked if you would comply with a national uniform policy if they were mandated for all British citizens.

Children aren't adults, and there are very clear reasons why we don't treat them like adults.

This ridiculous line of questioning could be extended to anything. There would be no reason to expect a nation of adults to wear national uniform - other than to attempt to prove the point that 'it's not fair' on children.

Whether you agree with them or not, there are perceived benefits of school uniform which is why it is in place. It wasn't just done for the sake of it.

Adults have a level of control over children for a reason - because their brains haven't on the whole gone through the cognitive development to accurately forecast and judge in a perspective the results of their actions.

Teachers are expected to dress formally. It's the same thing. There aren't many schools that will not send a teacher home to change if they turn up in jeans and a t-shirt.

As for uniforms in general, they at least place the children on a level playing field. They can't be singled out for wearing low-cost clothing or not fitting in with trends which is a genuine issue with teenagers and bullying.

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 12:39 ----------

Children aren't adults, and there are very clear reasons why we don't treat them like adults.

This ridiculous line of questioning could be extended to anything. There would be no reason to expect a nation of adults to wear national uniform - other than to attempt to prove the point that 'it's not fair' on children.

Whether you agree with them or not, there are perceived benefits of school uniform which is why it is in place. It wasn't just done for the sake of it.

Adults have a level of control over children for a reason - because their brains haven't on the whole gone through the cognitive development to accurately forecast and judge in a perspective the results of their actions.

What are these perceived benefits and do they outweigh the negatives?

What are these perceived benefits and do they outweigh the negatives?

Exactly!!

It is still plausible kids wear Ben Sherman shirts not plain George from Asda ones or M&S ones. Same with Trousers too :) e had all this - let alone doing our Ties the thin side only out (which if you didn't do you was bullied) for your un-efforts and same with Trainers for PE - if you had poor ones :)

What too about if it is a Polo Shirt Uniform - Football shirts are easily "swapped" for those as they can be for Shirts (Aka the England 2010 Home one) :)