Is It Time Schools Dropped School Uniforms?

I think people will have to agree to differ about uniforms. I've worn a uniform at work, it identified me to members of the public who wanted information. My daughter wears a uniform as a nurse, as do my nephews who are 1) police officer, and 2) prison officer. None of them would be allowed to do their jobs if they didn't.

I'm not a fan of children wearing adult style clothes, or having piercings, at a young age, if that's how their parents want to dress them, that's their choice - but just not at school. I'm with BarryRiley on this, although it might not make the clothes identical, they're certainly more similar than no uniform at all.

I think people will have to agree to differ about uniforms. I've worn a uniform at work, it identified me to members of the public who wanted information. My daughter wears a uniform as a nurse, as do my nephews who are 1) police officer, and 2) prison officer. None of them would be allowed to do their jobs if they didn't.

I'm not a fan of children wearing adult style clothes, or having piercings, at a young age, if that's how their parents want to dress them, that's their choice - but just not at school. I'm with BarryRiley on this, although it might not make the clothes identical, they're certainly more similar than no uniform at all.

Wouldn't it be better for those that don't want to wear it not to wear it, and those that do want to wear it to it wear it. What we have now is two camps, those that don't want it but also don't want to stop those that do want it from wearing one, and those that want it, but also want to impose it on everyone else.

What are these perceived benefits and do they outweigh the negatives?

I don't have figures - in fact it's pretty much impossible to measure. However, the benefits would be:

• Removing the social pressures attached to fashion from the school where they have no place
  • It makes it impossible for anyone to dress in what would be deemed 'inappropriate dress' (tube tops, vests etc)
  • A sense of community and belonging
  • A readiness for the outside world where they will be expected to dress in uniform / formally in many positions
  • Less financial pressure on parents to buy their children the latest clothes to wear to schools

A school also has an impression to create on a local community who are stakeholders in any local school. Residents are more likely to be impressed by a school in which the children dress smartly than one which has kids turning up in whatever they want. It's the same reason you don't wear a t-shirt and shorts to a business meeting - because the impression you create will have an outcome.

As for negatives, well I'm struggling to think of any

---------- Post added 25-09-2015 at 12:22 ----------

This is what gets my daughter, teacher have a dress code too, not sure how it is worded, smart maybe.

One of her teachers has one of those stretch ear-rings, yet pupils are only allowed a sleeper ear-ring.

She has also seen teachers wearing flipflop type shoes.

This is the fault of the school, not the system of uniforms. If there is a policy on staff dress then it should be strictly adhered to.

Edited by BarryRiley

I don't have figures - in fact it's pretty much impossible to measure. However, the benefits would be:

[*] Removing the social pressures attached to fashion from the school where they have no place

It would be better to bring children up in such a way that they don't feel social pressure.

[*] It makes it impossible for anyone to dress in what would be deemed 'inappropriate dress' (tube tops, vests etc)

Inappropriate dress is anything that makes the pupil feel uncomfortable, because being uncomfortable doesn't make a good learning environment.

[*] A sense of community and belonging

A sense of community and belonging isn't achieved by making everyone wear the same.

[*] A readiness for the outside world where they will be expected to dress in uniform / formally in many positions

If that was the case universities would also have a uniform.

[*] Less financial pressure on parents to buy their children the latest clothes to wear to schools

My kids grow out of their cloths before wearing them out, a uniform is an additional expense and doesn't save me the cost of buying other cloths.

A school also has an impression to create on a local community who are stakeholders in any local school. Residents are more likely to be impressed by a school in which the children dress smartly than one which has kids turning up in whatever they want. It's the same reason you don't wear a t-shirt and shorts to a business meeting - because the impression you create will have an outcome.

If that was the case universities would also have a uniform.

As for negatives, well I'm struggling to think of any

It creates a negative learning environment and reduces a students ability to learn, it also increases the cost to parents.

Wouldn't it be better for those that don't want to wear it not to wear it, and those that do want to wear it to it wear it. What we have now is two camps, those that don't want it but also don't want to stop those that do want it from wearing one, and those that want it, but also want to impose it on everyone else.

If some schools want to do away with school uniform, I've no problem with that. It's up to the parents to choose which school to send their children to.

I think the reason school uniforms should stay is because it allows all pupils to look similar and could, therefore, discourage bullying. I think the reason school uniforms should go is, it forces all the pupils to look similar and is part of the hidden curriculum.

I think the reason school uniforms should stay is because it allows all pupils to look similar and could, therefore, discourage bullying. I think the reason school uniforms should go is, it forces all the pupils to look similar and is part of the hidden curriculum.

Go on then, tell us about the 'hidden curriculum'.

It is kept saying it cuts bullying out - but as I have mentioned iotherwise - what about those who want Ben Sherman Shirts not George ones or Chicos not Trousers - I'm sure a lot exist ... it is the same as not having a uniform but being more subtle

More to the point - I wonder how many go out the door looking smart - wearing proper School Trousers but have Tracksuit Bottoms on too and then change at School and feed them a sob story or the same for Trainers etc too. A lot more goes on regards tis than is "really" known I think/believe and most of the Liberal Do-gooder Teachers of Today sadly fall for these sob-stories to avoid arguments with the KIds (more so if the say "well my Mum's ill and/or the washer is on the blink"

More to the point - I wonder how many go out the door looking smart - wearing proper School Trousers but have Tracksuit Bottoms on too and then change at School and feed them a sob story or the same for Trainers etc too. A lot more goes on regards tis than is "really" known I think/believe and most of the Liberal Do-gooder Teachers of Today sadly fall for these sob-stories to avoid arguments with the KIds (more so if the say "well my Mum's ill and/or the washer is on the blink"

It depends on the school. Parents of students not in uniform will receive a phone call from their year head to confirm this.

Any lies and they'll be put in isolation or given a loan uniform.

If some schools want to do away with school uniform, I've no problem with that. It's up to the parents to choose which school to send their children to.

All schools should be suitable for 90% of children, when it what they wear.

SEN schools do often have a uniform, but it is often just not worn. Parents should be able to choose their nearest school, if that does not happen, it can have massive impact on transport costs, and increase 'dead' time whilst sat in a bus/train/car.