Is It Time Schools Dropped School Uniforms?

Uniform was abolished for a period in the eighties and nineties, and it was a disaster. It coincided with the period when 'designer' clothes were everything to young kids and the pester power was unbearable. I was so glad when uniforms returned.

As someone has said a school uniform can be purchased very cheaply from a supermarket. If the school wants the uniform to have badges they should be the sort you can purchase separately and sew on. The badge can then be transferred from item to item as the child grows.

Anything else is a scam.

you will find that most schools put pressure on parents to buy said uniform from said supplier don't listen to them.

But if you genuinely cant afford it most schools do have funds to help parents out in difficult situations all you have to do is ask !!

I believe uniforms are great it stops all the bullying kids get for not wearing named trainers and trackies etc not all parents can afford named clothes if everyone is wearing the same it stops this.

The word you're looking for is deprived.

Yes, depraved means something very different :suspect:

Uniforms should be mandatory, but they should be cheaply and easily available i.e. supermarket basics so the less well off are able to afford them. If they were cheap enough it wouldn't cause a problem because the child still has to be clothed, and whilst they are wearing uniform they are not wearing out their normal clothes.

I believe uniforms are great it stops all the bullying kids get for not wearing named trainers and trackies etc not all parents can afford named clothes if everyone is wearing the same it stops this.

An attempt to stop or delay children from living in the real world, or is it done for the benefit of the parents.

I like the idea of school uniforms, but schools can be too strict because they cannot control the kids.

Teachers dont seem to follow any dress policy what so ever. Has a teacher or school staff ever been told not to wear ear-rings or tattoos are banned?

...I believe uniforms are great it stops all the bullying kids get for not wearing named trainers and trackies etc not all parents can afford named clothes if everyone is wearing the same it stops this.

Does it, though? It might be reduced - which is a good thing, of course - but surely much of it just shifts elsewhere: what the children wear after school, at weekends and during the holidays; where they buy their school clothes, bags, shoes and other accessories, and where they get their hair cut; who has the latest iPhone, etc. With the massive expansion of social media, school time and after school time is more blurred that it was in the pre-internet days.

I'm for keeping schoolchildren safe at school (appropriate dress during science, craft and PE lessons, for example, to avoid them ending up a statistic in the accident book), and getting them used to having the rules and regulations imposed on them that they'll likely meet during their working life.

A sensible, inexpensive, comfortable and practical uniform can be be beneficial for children and parents: the consequences of scrabbling around the playground in a pair of basic grey regulation trousers are likely less distressing, and damaging to the wallet, than if the children are ripping holes in whatever overpriced kit they like to wear these days.

I don't have children and I don't work in a school. What do parents and teachers think about how uniforms promote a sense of pride and learning-friendly inclusivity, one of the arguments usually given in support of school uniforms.

They even specify what type of shoes and what colour; its just OTT.

I can see the importance of suggesting sensible shoes. Heels, for example, aren't friendly to developing feet and legs, tottering about on them can lead to accidents, and they can damage school floors.

Are these children all going into roles that require a uniform?

No, but it's likely that they'll encounter some sort of regulated dress code. Even a company that promotes casual behind the scenes will likely demand something more formal, on occasion, for those whose roles also encompass meeting clients or customers.

Most school leavers are likely to encounter some job where failure to stick to some sort of dress code might result in problems, even if it's just the part-time jobs students work while at university. Getting used to having to suppress your freedom of expression to match the corporate idea of the customer/client-friendly image is part of that, so you might as well get used to having it imposed on you while you're at school.