Does Sheffield do enough to promote itself

byeo

Thanks to BYEO for this suggestion. No the city does not do enough to promote itself (and immediate surroundings). I have lived in other UK cities and I believe Sheffield would be at the bottom of the table, or close to it, for self promotion.

Every city and town (Pub?) in the country has a football team. Yes we were first, but there must be many other reasons to travel to Sheffield and area and stay for a week of two.

If the city wants to significantly improve tourism income, the Council would need to lead the charge. They need to partner with medium/large companies to promote specific events and facilities, and thereby letting the sponsor take much of the credit.

No, the mayor nor the councilors are qualified to do this.

What Sheffield needs is someone with a marketing/promotion background to take on this job and task, and yes they will need to be paid well. This is where the council would come in, and they would also need to set the goals for the city's promotion. My estimate is that stage 1 would be a 3 year period.

I would like to see the Council "Reporting" to the Sheffield public monthly, through the Forum (and Star), telling what they are doing to promote the city and giving results !

They dont do enough to promote themselves city wide never mind outside. For example at the ampitheatre last weekend there was a festval on yet no mention in the Sheffield Star or promotion by the council.

Events happen all the time and no one hears about them you just have to be lucky enough to walk past.

Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

The annoying thing is there are a number of people on very large salaries, paid for with our Council tax, that are supposed to be in charge of this. What are they doing to earn their 6 figure salaries.

Edited by Anna B

Yes we don't promote ourselves enough, but Mister M has a point - our lack of pushyness is what makes the city what it is. As for the OP's question - I could tell you to within the metre where I think the actual Sheffield Rules were agreed, and I think it merits a blue badge, but were Sheffield FC interested ? (nope)

I don't want more outsiders coming here because they make too much noise, drop litter, stand in my way whilst in the City Centre (thinking they are going for a stroll in the country) and they make shops busier which means I have to wait longer to get served.

Sheffield shouldn't promote itself to visitors, I don't want them to come here.

Given the disastrous handling of the National Centre for Popular Music, perhaps footie fans got off lightly?

<snip>

Almost all suggestions of things to do in Sheffield involve leaving the city.

Sheffield is a nice city to live in. A tourist trap it is not.

Agree with you about the NCPM; that was a tragic waste of taxpayers (and lottery users) cash.

But we should market ourselves as a hotel destination for the Peak District, instead of letting Manchester take all our tourists.

Agree with you about the NCPM; that was a tragic waste of taxpayers (and lottery users) cash.

But we should market ourselves as a hotel destination for the Peak District, instead of letting Manchester take all our tourists.

Manchester has the distinct advantage of a much nicer town centre than Sheffield. There's more on offer within Manchester than there is in Sheffield.

Well the old town hall is up for sale at £2m. Anyone know a rich business man who might buy it and give it over to museum use? Given that the Castle Market area is supposedly going to become a recreational area it might get plenty of passing trade.

If more tourists came to Sheffield there would be more shops and more facilities. It does not mean the queues in shops would get longer. Probably more shops established, more importantly employment would rise, which means more income for residents and more jobs. And a lower unemployment rate, and more career choices etc etc.

The council should be after medium/large companies to relocate to Sheffield, both national and international ones

I don't believe Sheffield needs to compete with Manchester. As pointed out, Sheffield needs to "Get on the map" so it is a credible option to them and others. On the west, NW and SW side Sheffield has excellent countryside. And now in the city there are numerable sporting facilities as well as education and leisure facilities. Sheffield as a destination has to be promoted