Staffy Feeding (amount?)

scsja

Hi,

I have a staffy 2 years old (only got him last week) I am feeding him on Wainwrights complete dog food.

He weighs about 16kg and according to the feeding guidelines he needs about 300g per day. I will be feeding him twice a day. Is if fine to feed him 200g in the morning and 100g in the afternoon or will it be better to half it 150g in the morning and 150g in the afternoon?

Thanks..

You might want to contact Wainwright's customer support - they will give you advice. However, I would say split the daily allowance in half. I am not familiar with the breed, but to me 300g sounds like a lot for a small to medium size dog. I rarely go with the recommended daily allowances, they are usually far too high. If you do give 300g per day, keep a close eye on his weight and if it starts to increase, cut back in 10% increments until the right quantity is achieved. Poo should be formed and easy to pick up, leaving no residue. If it becomes soft then it could be due to overfeeding: Poop Points.

Edited by ccit

That amount is 1% of your dogs' body weight. That is also the figure that I work to and it is usually ok. If the OP uses the 1 to 1.2% of body weight formula the Stafford will need 160 to 192g per day, divided into two meals. This seems to be a more realistic amount. Of course if the dog is very active, it can be increased by 10%.

300g is probably a little too much.

I use Wainrights and feed about 260g per day mixed with a small bit of tinned meat, split into two 130g portions.

That's for my 22kg lurcher who gets 2 hours walking a day with lots of off lead running around/jogging with me.

I had to reduce the amount of kibble she got a while ago as she was getting too porky!

CCIT's advice pretty good to follow.

I can't offer any advice other than to go by what he looks like, don't worry too much about his actual weight.

My staffy is very active, she has approx. 450g per day but she's on a raw diet.